CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #41
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:
Re: Double-unders: Functional... how?

Mikko actually had never done a DU before the '09 Games and could do them after a quick briefing.
Of course he was not good at them. but he could do them.

Annie and "Sven" (the icelanders) hat never done a Muscle Up before but both got one, but not more, or at least not all of them....
Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #42
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
Yes everything does act on your neurological system...however some exercises have more impact then others. You should read the CF journal: What is Fitness.

There are 10 aspects to Fitness:

1. Cardio Endurance
2. Stamina
3. Strength
4. Flexability

These first 4 are organic. This means that they are measurable on an organic level. ie You could take a microscope and see the changes

5. Coordination
6. Agility
7. Balance
8. Accuracy

These next 4 are practice/neurological bases. You cannot measure them on any organic level. Instead they only improve through practice. ie more efficient neuro-muscular reactions.

9. Speed
10. Power

These two are the result of the first 8. A combo between neurological adaptation and organic adaptation.

What does this have to do with double-unders?

Quote:
Instead they only improve through practice.
You mean, like every other aspect of fitness?

Quote:
You cannot measure them on any organic level. Instead they only improve through practice. ie more efficient neuro-muscular reactions.
This is a truism because ALL aspect of fitness improve through efficient neuro-muscular reactions.

I am very curious to see how you could look under a microscope and "see" that someone has become a better squatter or deadlifter.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #43
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Personally, I love DU and I wish we had more of them in workouts. Yes I said it, and I mean it. Like MU's, I think it's an underdeveloped skill in most CF'rs. Just look at mainpage on a day when DU's are posted in a workout and you'll see atleast half the people subbing some silly ol thing instead of taking the day to work on something they really suck at. So it could be said that DU's also keep you humble.
Now that I can do them, I agree. They are a lot of fun. When the substitution is to do 5x singles, you get motivated to learn pretty quickly.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #44
Barrett Reznick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
What does this have to do with double-unders?

You mean, like every other aspect of fitness?

This is a truism because ALL aspect of fitness improve through efficient neuro-muscular reactions.

I am very curious to see how you could look under a microscope and "see" that someone has become a better squatter or deadlifter.
Ok...Double unders are a practice movement. They only improve through the increase of speed of the nero-muscular system. You cannot see any organic change from practice.

There is a small degree of all aspects of fitness in every exercise but some like DU or Deadlifts focus more one one sub set over the other.

And... you CAN see changes under a microscope in terms of muscle fiber size, number, enzyme level, blood chemical levels and typ of fiber. So, if you are getting better at squats or deadlift you are most likely seeing dramatic changes in these levels. You are not seeing huge changes in these levels for DU.

So was explained to me by a level 3 cert. I am just throwing it back up at you. (Paraphrasing)
Old 09-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #45
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
...so I'm not sure why how long it takes one person to learn the skill has anything to do with how functional it is..and separately if it belongs in the Games...
The amount of time it takes to learn means that a competitor must have that amount of time before the games to dedicate to learning a trick that may or may not even come up. If Brian Urlacher decides tomorrow that he's going to try and show crossfit that his training program is better he can't until he
a.) learns that crossfit uses double unders
b.) practices until he is able to do tons of double unders really fast and efficiently

He has very little hope of being good at double unders just because he is an amazing athlete. Because, as someone else said, it's a practice thing. If they announced that the 3rd event at the games was going to be playing "Cult of Personality" on Hard in Guitar Hero 5 it would probably put Spealler in a similar predicament.

I have never done multiple muscle ups in a row. I have probably done less than 25 single muscle ups ever over the past two years. I don't practice them very often because I workout in my garage and the rings can't be hung high enough. Last night, I went out and did 2 in a row on my first try after a workout with ring dips, pushups, hspu's and L pullups, with the rings hanging way too low. So the fact that I was able to string them without practicing them colors my view more. If you can do one, you can do multiples until fatigue sets in.

I also can't practice double unders in my garage because the rope hits the ceiling. But when I can try them it's all kinds of timing and crap, rather than just fatigue, strength, endurance, etc. Admittedly, that effects my view.

I am in no way saying they aren't functional, or are too hard, or aren't beneficial. I believe they are probably a great training tool. And someday when they don't make my knees sore and aggravate my exertion headaches I'm going to practice them more and maybe even get good at them.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #46
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

yeah, "What is functional?" is probably a more convoluted question than what is fitness...
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #47
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Steeves View Post
They are functional because Glassman says so, and if you dare disagree with him you are a worthless excuse of a human being and don't deserve to be part of the Crossfit community. Don't EVER question Glassman.
Somebody's mom gave him the bottle instead of the teet.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #48
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

" I could respond by saying that bicep curls improve your pull-ups, but most people here would mock someone doing them. "

There are few bad excersizes, but there are bad applications of excersizes. Heavy curls are a very useful excersize for intermediates and above (training level being based on the level of adaptation).
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #49
Bill Gibson

Profile:

I personally love double unders. If you spend about 10 minutes every time you work out (which is not a large amount of time) you should be able to do them very quickly. Once you are able to string them together, they gas you pretty fast. Also single unders in no compensate for double unders. Absolutely no comparison there. I don't believe double unders are a trick...to me they seem like an important metabolic conditioning tool. I'm not sure why people complain about them...if you can't do them, then sure it's easy to complain about. But if you can string them together, then you would probably agree with me that 2:00 min of double unders would leave you more gassed than 2:00 min of any other type of metabolic conditioning exercise (rowing, sprinting, burpees)

Again...I don't really understand what the griping is about
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #50
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

I could do double unders from my first day yet I struggle with the Olympic lifts. To me they are as much of a trick as any crossfit exercise. They all require some amount of technique, strength and conditioning and all of which some will be better at than others.