CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Marc Vermette

Profile:
Opinions: Spouse vs. Globo Gym

Opinions needed for this:

I have been doing Crossfit for the past 5 years, have my own garage gym, have adopted the mental approach to fitness that is crossfit. I used to belong to the typical "globo gym," and canceled my membership about 3 months after starting crossfit/creating my own garage gym (which, by the way, is virtually complete after 5 years!). The issue involves my wife. She is in fairly decent shape and she wants to join the local globo gym, much to my dismay! She went with a friend to one of the "boot camps" and came back raving about this place. 75 stairmasters, 443 different cable machines, 1 squat rack for bicep curls juice bar, etc, etc. The more she told me about it, the more my skin would crawl

I want her to want to workout in my garage gym, doing crossfit. I DO NOT want her to join this bullsh*t "gym." Sure, there is cost involved, but more important than that is the overall attitude and approach to fitness that these idiots at Globo Family Fitness possess.

What are the general thoughts on this type of situation? How can I motivate my wife to NOT join this "gym?"

Just curious to what people think.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Opinions: Spouse vs. Globo Gym

I'd let her do what excites her. If that means going to the Globo, let her go.

That said, perhaps you could also talk with her about her goals and set some checkpoint at which, if she hasn't achieved a certain level of progress towards those goals, she'll bail and come workout with you instead.

- Mark
Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

My thoughts:

1) You may try to help her realize that her results at the fancy gym will not match your garage results. If she understands this and still wants to go to the fancy gym, just let her (though fight and claw against the 2 year contract they'll want you to sign). It sounds like she doesn't want the same thing out of a workout that you do, and you have to respect that. You can't make her want to do strict pullups, or handstand pushups, or have a good Fran time. Maybe she just wants to be social, not feel too uncomfortable, and not get fat.

2) Bootcamp classes can be quite effective for GPP, so maybe not all of her time there will be a waste. If well run they consist of high intensity functional movements.

3) If you've been CrossFitting for 5 years and she's never joined you, it seems unlikely you'll convert her any time soon. But maybe you could compromise. If you've got the money, let her join her gym, but ask her if she would work out with you once a week. No hard sell here, just tell her that CrossFit is something important to you and you'd like it if you could share it with her. If she consents start her off slowly and gently encourage her: no yelling, and try not to be too pushy with directions or correcting stuff. If she starts pushing herself harder or showing interest then maybe she'll be on her way to being your full time workout partner.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Let her do what she wants and decide for herself whether her needs are being met or not.

Training a spouse or relative can be a touchy situation under the best of circumstances. Trying it when she doesn't want to be there and feels like she was forced into it is a recipe for disaster.

Katherine
Old 02-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

My girlfriend is going to the gobo gym. I train her on Starting Strength once a week at the weightlifting club and she does it the other two at the globo. SHe also does yoga there and really digs it. You can influence but not control.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

It sounds like you're sure about what you want, but not so sure what your wife wants. Since this is about her and not you, I'd let it be. IMO, it just isn't very important compared to everything else in a marriage. You train how you want, she does it how she wants.

I couldn't imagine my wife liking crossfit, she's just not like me when it comes to sports and training. She does like rowing on the concept 2, so I help her some with that. I also do form checks on her squats, etc., and help her set up her program when she asks, but she's a lot more comfortable at the local Y then she would be in any kind of more "serious" gym. Sometimes she takes a few months off from all of it, but I didn't marry her for her athletic prowess so I couldn't care less as long as she's happy with her decisions.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Like Katherine said, training a spouse or relative can be touchy. Some people don't want to be trained by someone unless they have some kind of fancy paper, even though you might be very knowledgeable, she just might not see you as an "authority figure" when it comes to the gym.

Also some people more often then not, women, LIKE fancy, clean, hygienic gyms AND if she is going with a friend its something she's bonding with that friend doing.

I say let her do her thing, but maybe help with her goals, and helping her evaluate fitness wise where she is now and in the future to see if she is improving.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vermette View Post
I want her to want to workout in my garage gym, doing crossfit. I DO NOT want her to join this bullsh*t "gym."

Get over yourself and support your wife. If she's happy going to the gym down the street, then you should be happy that she's happy.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Just be happy she is going to gym at all. Do not try and persuade her to do cf.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Thomas Green

Profile:

She works out. She takes care of herself. And she looks forward to going to the gym. Which is better than 99% of American women. Who cares if she works you your way or not. Crossfit is great but it isn't the only answer. Doing 45 minutes on the elliptical or an hour of yoga is great for your health too.

I'd say be grateful you have such a health-conscious spouse.