CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: Thinking about breaking down my platform.. when does the plywood become necessary

I have a small patch of foam mats for situps, handstand pushups, etc. Just the very cheap interlocking foam tiles.

The stall mats are pretty hard to land on. Also you could probably ask the place you're buying the stall mats if they could deliver...I know they have plenty of trucks
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Matt Thacker

Profile:
Re: Thinking about breaking down my platform.. when does the plywood become necessary

My 1200 Sq ft box is all stall mats. Stall mats are all you need IMO. None of my ladies have ever complained about doing burpees, push-ups, sit-ups or HSPU's on stall mats. The lunges cause the feared black knee but it washes off. We have mats for jiu jitsu that we have used just in case for HSPU's but once people get used to kicking up to the wall the chance of falling is minimal (and self correcting). There is no need for anything other than stall mats for Push-ups, sit-ups ect. Many people do push-ups and sit-ups on concrete grinders (mil/police ect.) Lots of affiliates do WODs outside in parking lots. If you need anything other than stall mats as flooring to do Crossfit make sure it matches your purse! If your hands are that soft you haven't done enough pull-ups! Regarding the platform question, we haven't yet had a need for real platforms. Our max cleans are under 200 and OHS are below 150, once you get heavier than that I cannot offer an opinion. DL up to 400 (with bumpers of course) are fine.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
Paul Epstein

Profile:

you may have problem getting the ply wood to sit flat amongs the rubber matts. i remember putting together my platform, the plywood was quite buckled and i had to screw it all together to make it sit 'flat'.

this was 12mm (1/2") ply tho, thicker ply would be better.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #14
Kris Reeves

Profile:

does your garage have much of a slope? I needed to build a platform so I could shim & level it otherwise the bar would roll right out the door (1" drop over every 8 feet)!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #15
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Reeves View Post
does your garage have much of a slope? I needed to build a platform so I could shim & level it otherwise the bar would roll right out the door (1" drop over every 8 feet)!
there is a slope, not sure how much drop. i initially had my platform perpendicular to the garage door and the bar would roll a little bit - i just stuck a dumbbell on each side to keep it from rolling too far. i've since rotated the platform 90 degrees and the bar doesn't roll anymore, but i know it's slightly off-level from left to right, so i alternate which way I face every set that I deadlift. i'm planning to turn my platform back 90 degrees when I re-do the flooring; I'd rather have the bar roll a little bit than lop-sided (as I can't easily flip/flop all my exercises each set; bench/squat/etc).
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #16
Christian Salas

Profile:

My platform drops about 2" per 8', and I haven't noticed any problems. Every once in a while the barbell "walks" down hill a bit when I drop it from over head, but nothing serious. I don't face the other direction for every set, and no muscle imbalances yet!

And maybe unrelated, but I do have a problem falling over to the right when I walk...jk