CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #61
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:
Re: 28 days in ketosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Day 8, if anyone's interested:

Been in ketosis since Day 1, no cheat meals.

Crashed pretty hard during yesterday's WoD, it took me twice the time to finish than the best in the class. I've stopped recording calories because frankly, I don't care. I've lost 5 pounds at this point and look a fair bit leaner. I'm excited to see where I am this time next week.

It's my understanding that it may take 3 weeks or so to regain my performance at the box, so I'll just keep chugging until I either get better or get a six pack and can stop this diet.
Why stop if it's getting you the results? Once you transitioned to fat metabolism, its a new brave world. I feel like **** when I go back to carbs, even for a day.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #62
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Damn those carbs full of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen!! SO unlike fat which has none of that dirty stuff!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #63
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dreyzen View Post
Why stop if it's getting you the results? Once you transitioned to fat metabolism, its a new brave world. I feel like **** when I go back to carbs, even for a day.
Believe it or not, carbs have there benefits beside the fact that they can taste great (which is a pretty big benefit).

Just because you feel like crap when you eat them now doesn't mean they are bad for you, that would happen if you quit eating meat for an extended period of time as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #64
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
And if you suspect you are among the small percentage for whom gluten is a problem, there are many gluten-free carb alternatives obviously.
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity: The New Frontier of Gluten Related Disorders
http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/5/10/3839 WFS

Quote:
In fact, I am willing to wager that most, if not all, humans do not tolerate gluten and associated grain proteins.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #65
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dreyzen View Post
Day 14, I think:
The reality is that I miss carbs terribly. It's much easier to come home on a weeknight and make some pasta than it is to make a steak (don't argue). However! I haven't had carbs in two weeks so I'm not sure how I'm going to feel when I reintroduce them. If I feel like crap, I'll think about staying keto for good. It's definitely worth the results I'm getting, that's for sure.

Speaking of results, still only down 5 pounds. Made it a little further through the WoD today before hitting the wall and coming to a nearly full and complete stop. Frustrating. Abs are coming through though, so I'll stick with it for another 2 weeks. Halfway through the "experiment" at this point.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #66
Michael Dries

Profile:

Very interesting conversation about carbs and keto nerd stuff on robb wolf's podcast today. Highly recommended listen.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #67
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Day 14, I think:
The reality is that I miss carbs terribly. It's much easier to come home on a weeknight and make some pasta than it is to make a steak (don't argue). However! I haven't had carbs in two weeks so I'm not sure how I'm going to feel when I reintroduce them. If I feel like crap, I'll think about staying keto for good. It's definitely worth the results I'm getting, that's for sure.

Speaking of results, still only down 5 pounds. Made it a little further through the WoD today before hitting the wall and coming to a nearly full and complete stop. Frustrating. Abs are coming through though, so I'll stick with it for another 2 weeks. Halfway through the "experiment" at this point.
before and after pics needed
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #68
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Day 14, I think:

If you feel like crap, it doesn't mean carbs aren't good for you. It means your body has downregulated the necessary means for carb digestion and utilization.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #69
Michael Dries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
If you feel like crap, it doesn't mean carbs aren't good for you. It means your body has downregulated the necessary means for carb digestion and utilization.
Also choose your reintro carbs carefully. You're clearly going to have different experiences between a batch of sweet potatoes vs donuts.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #70
Alexander Dreyzen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Can't argue with that. Our enzymes and metabolic pathways are highly adaptable. But I'd rather be adapted to burning fat than glucose. This way my fuel tank is 100 times larger and my spare tire (aroung my waist) is 100 times smaller.

Last edited by Alexander Dreyzen : 10-15-2013 at 09:19 PM.