CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:
I don't get it...

Quick observation/question for you all:

Sometimes when I go a few days and stray from my typically healthy diet, I appear leaner and am acutally lighter on the scale. This could be during a vacation, 3 week trip, weekend binge-fest, etc. Does anybody else ever experience this? Any idea why?

I usually eat really healthy, track calories, etc. and it seems like it takes forever to notice any real changes, but after a few days of not following my typical diet, and eating way more than usual, changes are evident. I'm thinking either:

A) I don't get enough calories normally
B) Dehydration

Thoughts?

(Note, I am 6'1", ~200 lbs, and if I had to guess, 15-17% BF, and usually eat around 2,400 - 2,600 calories/day, vegetarian...if that matters)
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Ryan Bracewell

Profile:
Re: I don't get it...

Depends...what kind of diet do you normally eat? How often do you eat?

And what kind of foods do you eat and do you reduce the amount of meals in a day?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Probably a combination of dehydration and the shock of junk food screwing with your bowels. I know that on vacation, eating whatever Crap was put in front of me, the area i really suffered was in the toilet. But its only a shock, same as those that report gas and diareha from switching to a healthy diet, and after a week it'll settle and the Crap calories will start to bloat you again
Old 08-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Derek McLaughlin

Profile:

Typical day:

Breakfast (8 am): 3 eggs, hashbrowns, coffee w/ 1 T coconut oil
Lunch (Noon): Large salad w/ oil & vinegar dressing, apple, ON whey shake
Dinner(6-7 pm): Some kind of rice & beans, rice pasta, or quinoa dish, always with veggies

Snack (2 pm): fruit, nuts
Post workout (5:30 pm): ON Whey and a banana

And during those times with uncontrolled diet, it can vary, like sleeping in until noon, eating out twice, getting ice cream, ordering a pizza, etc. I mean there's never a rhyme or reason, just kind of eating whatever, whenever.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
John Schumm

Profile:

I agree, I have had the same problem and results. For the past 2 days I ate CRAP (McDonald's, Chick-fil-A, ...) and I seem to be right on track where I am usually on a day when I workout. However, when I went on a cruise for 4 days and ate alot, drank alot, and worked out a little I ballooned up 5-7 pounds. So it can vary on the crude I eat but it does seem when I eat crap I seem to lose a little more than I would eating regularly (I sit around for almost 12 hours a day on a typical day so that may be part of my problem). By the way I try to eat Paleo at least 80% of the time.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Ryan Bracewell

Profile:

I doubt its dehydration unless you also cut back your fluid intake while binging too. when on a strict diet the cheat meals can cause a temporary boost in metabolism, which could be what's happening to you. Obviously those foods will slow down the metabolisn if eaten daily but the shock of them on occasion can be good. In addition it sounds like you cut back your servings too so you could be taking in less calories despite the higher fat foods.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Read up on refeeds on www.bodyrecomposition.com (WFS) and read this article (WFS).
Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Read up on refeeds on www.bodyrecomposition.com (WFS) and read this article (WFS).
this.

and based on your normal diet, my guess would be when you eat junk you add in alot of extra sodium, waste products, and extra carbs, all of which probably creates added water retention. bodybuilders "carb load" right before a contest in order to look full and hard. alot of bodyweight athletes look this way too after "cutting weight" to make weigh in and then immediately after they drink tons of gatorade and pig out and wind up looking awesome.