CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Jordan M Knox

Profile:
Affiliate Changing Strength Program

Hey guys,

I hope I've posted this in the correct area. My affiliate has decided to phase out their current strength program at the end of the month, Wendler 5/3/1, and transition to something different.

The old setup was Monday and Thursday. I also focused on strength at open gym on Saturdays. I feel the changes are:

One - almost no one went to the strength classes consistently. Literally me and two others. So only three people.
Two: That class time can be used for normal CF classes, which more people will, likely, attend.

There will now be a strength component before every WoD. While I think this is wonderful for the overall benefit of the gym and those attending only CF classes I feel like this will not be conducive to my goals. This year most of my main goals are all focused on increasing the 4 basic barbell movements.

My Goals:
500 lbs deadlift
430 lbs back squat
200 lbs shoulder press
280 lbs bench
500 Olympic total
Overhead Squat body weight for reps (3+ reps)
100 burpees in 5 minutes (this is going to be horrible)
sub 3 minute Grace

Right now I'm leaning towards dropping my affiliate membership to twice a week. I'm under the impression that I can still utilize the open gym as well with that membership plan (I have to find this out). I would then sign up with another non-CF gym to be able to do my Wendler 5/3/1. I really don't want to change how often I go to my affiliate, but it was made pretty clear that being able to focus on strength with the Wendler format, aside from open gym which are only on Saturday/Sunday, would not be possible.

Here are my questions:

Do you think it is foolish of me to cling to the Wendler 5/3/1 model? Or do you believe that staying with Wendler because of my goals is correct?

Right now here's how my week would look if I dropped to two days a week and open gym admittance.

Sunday - Open gym - self run Metcon. Something heavy and under 12 minutes. Skill work
Monday - Wendler
Tuesday - CF affiliate metcon
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Wendler
Friday - Cf Affiliate Metcon
Saturday - Main Wendler or Olympic Lifts depends on the week. Also skill work.

Okay, woof. Sorry for the super long post. I just hope I provided enough information and with enough clarity for others to weigh in their opinions. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Affiliate Changing Strength Program

So many of us on this board are big fans of a basic strength program with CF metcons blended in--whether it is Wendler 5/3/1, Conjugate CF, CF Football, GSLP, or 70's Big S and C.

I'm just amazed so many people don't show up for strength work. I'm glad at least that they see a need for it and are trying to reprogram it so that the clients aren't neglecting the work.

Any idea why they aren't just doing a Wendler main lift 4 days a week before wods?

Wendler 5/3/1 is a pretty solid program, so if it has been moving you forward, I'd stick with it for a while, otherwise I'd give one of the other ones I mentioned a try. I'm a big conjugate/Westside fan.

How are you planning on running the program 2-3 days a week? One main lift a session with accessory work? Or will you do 2 main lifts? How are you going to incorporate Oly work?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
So many of us on this board are big fans of a basic strength program with CF metcons blended in--whether it is Wendler 5/3/1, Conjugate CF, CF Football, GSLP, or 70's Big S and C.

I'm just amazed so many people don't show up for strength work. I'm glad at least that they see a need for it and are trying to reprogram it so that the clients aren't neglecting the work.

Any idea why they aren't just doing a Wendler main lift 4 days a week before wods?
I seen time and time again that boxes that try to run a strength class don't really have people show up to it. Regardless of who's posting to this board, I think your average CF affilliate member is looking to show up, do a metcon for ~30 minutes, and go home. They don't really care about strength numbers, and probably don't pay much attention to their time. What they care about is the group atmosphere and that it's more variety than running a treadmill or going to spin class, and more effective than cardio kickboxing or whatever silly group classes are offered at the globo.

The kind of people who primarily are interested in strength do one of the following:
1) go to a globo because it's cheaper
2) find a boxing gym, weightlifting club, or whatever that caters to them
3) work out alone at home and post to this board
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Jordan M Knox

Profile:

My affiliate, so I have, been running with two main lifts per day. So:

Monday: my lifts are Press and Squat
Thursday are Bench and Deadlift
Saturdays: I squat, front squat, and deadlift on week 1 and 2 of Wendler. On week 3 and deload I do things like Overhead Squat, cleans, or Snatches.

Both Monday and Thursday I'm doing the boring but big assistance work. It's certanintly not boring to me

The strength program they'll be moving into will focus on the Olympic lifts. I don't feel comfortable explaining it fully as it is not my brainchild and I would probably get it wrong. It's being split into a 8/4/4/ week period going from 5/3/1 in the rep scheme. I know they're pulling some of the knowledge and setup from Prilepins Chart:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/prilepins_chart.htm (WFS)

As for focusing on Olympic lifts, I would encounter those before the WoDs on Tuesday and Friday and when I program them myself during the Open Gym time. So I would be able to hit them roughly 2-3 times a week.

Wendler 5/3/1 has been working wonderfully for me. I don't like jumping around in programs, and have taken Wendlers "strength is a marathon not a sprint" to heart.

I love my affiliate and am very happy that they'll basically be making everyone that attends stronger. I'm very passionate on women lifting heavy, and hate the way popular media skews this. I just don't think the setup aligns with my current goals. I was hoping to see another alternative because I would really like to only train at my affiliate. I dislike having to train at a non-CF gym.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Definitely bring this up with them - see if there are other times they'd let you lift. But it doesn't sound too unreasonable, I mean the way you want to achieve your goals is down a different path than the way the affiliate wants to take you so I'm sure no one would take it personally if you wanted to go your own way for a while and return later.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Have you asked them whether you can come early to do your lifts or your programming? It might seem different but I have seen various affiliates that will allow some members to focus on SS or allow lifting preWOD or postWOD.

On another specific strength classes or oly classes are pretty difficult to keep going even with plenty of members it seems.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #7
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

They sound like they're committed to keeping strength work in there in a major way, so I'd give them a little latitude and just try it for a month. Obviously your goals are very skewed, so you could technically get more from an almost strength-only program, but I doubt that you couldn't make significant gains just by making the most of the new program they offer. There's nothing magical about 531. You could throw in an AMRAP set at the end of almost any strength session. The accessory work is the dealbreaker I guess. Open gym sounds promising as well. Sounds like you have some decent options. If it doesn't work out then at least you know you gave it an honest try.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #8
Ryan R Johnson

Profile:

its funny how a sport (Crossfit) whose ideology is based on performing across a broad spectrum of fitness, neglects the importance of strenght training.

the wod squad would have you believe that the key to performing better in wods is to do more wods.

when in reality, the ones who perform better are the people with a strong strength base, who layer in conditioning.

i have several friends that transitioned amazingly from highschool and college football to crossfit. My friends who transitioned from running and bodybuilding, not so much.

I metcon's like an animal for a year and never got where i wanted to be until i started focusing on strenght.

its like the guy who is spinning plates on ripleys believe it or not.. if you spin too many plates, youre gonna drop some.

Wods are easy to do on your own. i would join a hardcore lifting gym (look for the one with no air conditioning, where it looks like theres steroids in the water fountain) them add some WODS or prowler push/sprints a few times a week.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
Mike McGee

Profile:

Unfortunately, we can't really provide you any options. Only your affiliate can. Ask them if you can do your own thing during the "strength" portion of the class and then join back in when they WOD. If they agree you're good, if not, then you have to decide if you want to continue working out there. Ultimately, they're going to do what they think is best for their business...

Last edited by Mike McGee : 01-12-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

To the OP: Would you mind posting your affiliate's website so we can get an idea of the strength program they will be using?