CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
Trey Williams

Profile:
Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Hello, all. I've been on the 70's Big S&C program for some time now, squatting twice a week. I'm starting to meet Jesus as early as my second set in my 3x5's, so I feel a stall out coming soon. I've already reset the program twice, and I did SS for a bit before this, so I think it may be time for a more intermediate program.

I can only afford to squat twice a week, as I play ultimate frisbee competitively and we practice on weekends. For those that don't know about the sport, it's sprint endurance, much like soccer but with greater rest intervals. I won't be able to continue progressing in weight every squat session much longer, but I'd love to keep adding weight to my squat. Do you think squatting one 3x5 per week adding, say, 5lbs per week and making my other squat day dynamic effort would be useful? Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for the time.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Kevin Bean

Profile:
Re: Intermediate Linear Progression + Conditioning

Nothing wrong with squatting just once a week if it's interfering with recovery or other activities. You'll still be adding 20lbs to your 5rm a month.

Last edited by Kevin Bean : 07-02-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Trey Williams

Profile:

So, you think the extra recovery from squatting only once a week rather than twice will help me continue make linear gains? Is that enough volume to produce adaptation?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Trey, you might think about continuing to squat twice a week but instead of doing three sets of five, just do a single set of five. You will have to try it to see if it works for you.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Trey Williams

Profile:

I know Madcow utilizes just one top set of 5. That reduced volume might be the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion.

No one thinks that dynamic squatting would improve my LP squat? I'm not very familiar with Westside methods, so I don't know if that's way off the mark.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

If you can still milk a linear progression, then there doesn't seem to be any reason to do speed squats.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Williams View Post
Hello, all. I've been on the 70's Big S&C program for some time now, squatting twice a week. I'm starting to meet Jesus as early as my second set in my 3x5's, so I feel a stall out coming soon. I've already reset the program twice, and I did SS for a bit before this, so I think it may be time for a more intermediate program.

I can only afford to squat twice a week, as I play ultimate frisbee competitively and we practice on weekends. For those that don't know about the sport, it's sprint endurance, much like soccer but with greater rest intervals. I won't be able to continue progressing in weight every squat session much longer, but I'd love to keep adding weight to my squat. Do you think squatting one 3x5 per week adding, say, 5lbs per week and making my other squat day dynamic effort would be useful? Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for the time.
What about nutrition? You're 6-3 and 190#? Maybe you're about to hit a wall b/c you're not eating for adaptation and recovery. Contrary to popular opinion you can get strong w/out getting real fat which would hamper your Ultimate Frisbee playing.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

6'3'' and 190# is HUGE for an Ultimate player. Most guys are there are probably 30-40 pounds lighter (if this is college).
Old 07-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

I just started the Texas Method not too long ago and began alternating dynamic effort and max effort lifts. I can't say just how much it's helping me, but I know it's definitely not hurting.

Also, if you only plan on squatting once a week, I would recommend Wendler's 5/3/1 rep/set scheme. It's specifically designed to only be done once a week.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Trey Williams

Profile:

I eat at least 4k cals a day, usually closer to 5k. I need to update my sig, because I'm actually around 195lbs, which is much, much bigger than the vast majority of ultimate players. I'm not opposed to hitting 200lbs or even a little over, but 210lbs would be pushing it. Also, because I condition twice a week (short metcons a la crossfit football, but conditioning nonetheless) in addition to practice and tournaments on the weekends I struggle to gain weight.

Jonathan, do you think 5/3/1 would be effective without all the assistance work? Could sprinting or short metcons take the place of that assistance work, or would that be too much to recover from?

Again, thanks for all the responses.