CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Matt Payne

Profile:
Re: Doing CF rx without the need for SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Know this...some people just don't have the genes to be able to do certain things...even with a SS cycle. just keep working hard and measure your progress.
Says who? As it pertains to rx'd WOD's? How and when does one determine if they have the genetics or not?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Philip Bjorge

Profile:

My experience was my strength levels dropped.
I went from a 235x5 Back Squat to 175x5, 160x5 Bench to 140x5, and 115x5 Press to 100x5 Press.

I did lose 30 pounds (of probably pure fat as I was at 30% body fat) and went from 205 to 175 - I was eating Zone/Paleo (about 80% strict).

This was doing pure Crossfit mainpage for 3 months, 5 days a week.

On the other hand, I lost a ton of body fat and improved a TON on metcons.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Says who? As it pertains to rx'd WOD's? How and when does one determine if they have the genetics or not?
Jason David. When? Exactly 2 years and 6 months after they start CrossFit.

Last edited by Jason David : 11-24-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #14
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Jason David. When? Exactly 2 years and 6 months after they start CrossFit.
Well then I guess that is the word! So you are actually speaking for yourself. That's alright then. Everyone's genetics are different and unique so I guess you found your genetic limit somewhere? WOW in only 2 years 6 months.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #15
John Harris

Profile:

I'd just like to add to the testimonial. I started CF main page about 8 months ago working out at home with my own equipment. I now do all WODs as RXd except for HSPU. I gained around 10 lbs of muscle and I feel great.

On difficult (heavy) WODs my times suck but they are getting better.

I was a recreational runner before and my times have improved with much less mileage.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #16
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Well then I guess that is the word! So you are actually speaking for yourself. That's alright then. Everyone's genetics are different and unique so I guess you found your genetic limit somewhere? WOW in only 2 years 6 months.
Not quite...April will be 2 years.

I see what you did there though...very clever.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Not quite...April will be 2 years.

I see what you did there though...very clever.
No seriously...I am just saying everyone has a different genetic capability and that everyone's experience may be different. The awesome thing about Crossfit is that is really shows you how to overcome things you maybe once thought was/were impossible for you,whatever limits you thought you had. I am sure this community is full of people that suprised themselves as to what they were genetically capable of. That's all I was trying to say.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
No seriously...I am just saying everyone has a different genetic capability and that everyone's experience may be different. The awesome thing about Crossfit is that is really shows you how to overcome things you maybe once thought was/were impossible for you,whatever limits you thought you had. I am sure this community is full of people that suprised themselves as to what they were genetically capable of. That's all I was trying to say.
A cocrossfitter friend of mine has longer bones from his elbows to his wrist, and shorter bones from his elbows to his shoulders, making it imposible to rack a bar and have his elbows up, even with flexable wrist it just doesn't go.
He is just built funny(genes) In the rack position his wrist are even with his throat.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Yes Matt. If you weren't being a smart aleck I apologize.

I only said that not 'everyone' has the genetic capability to do all WOD's rx'd. This shouldn't be discouraging. I was just making a point. You seem to understand as I do that everybody is different. That being said, some people have a higher fitness ceiling than others.

I also don't know where in any of my posts you got the impression that I didn't feel that people make amazing accomplishments here. They do!

It's all about increasing work capacity and getting better. Everybodys best is different for the most part.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #20
Matt Payne

Profile:

No worries Jason. I really was not trying to be smart . Did not intend to come across that way. I am sure you recognize the accomplishments of people here, never said you didn't.

My point was this; we really don't know what we are genetically capable of in my opinion. Until we push ourselves, test ourselves etc... we just don't know.We kinda impose those limits on ourselves. Genetic capability is really unknown I think in terms of fitness. It also can take time to find what we "feel" is our limit here. I am 40 and almost every year for the past 20 years or so I suprise myself as to what I am capable of physically. Things I never thought I could do because I am too tall, too heavy etc....