CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Mani Singh

Profile:
Doing CF rx without the need for SS

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are many ppl who have got to the position of being able to do alot of the cf wod recommended and are V.very strong without completing a course of SS or another strength building programme.

Im asking because i am a comparitively weak and want to get strong but having had major weight problems in the past dont really wanna go down the ss route which can lead to fat gains.

Can i do get myself a good strength base with something like CF. CFFB or CFSB instead? I know it will take longer but i think i would prefer this route.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Geoff Sallee

Profile:
Re: Doing CF rx without the need for SS

I've done pretty well just doing the CF mainsite WODs for the past 2 years. I wouldn't say I'm very strong, but I can squat 325, deadlift 395, and press 170 at a bodyweight of 210. It definitely took longer than if I had done strict SS, but I've also made great gains in cardio capacity, running ability, muscle endurance, Oly lifts, etc. So it depends on your goals, but it can be done.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Mani Singh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Sallee View Post
I've done pretty well just doing the CF mainsite WODs for the past 2 years. I wouldn't say I'm very strong, but I can squat 325, deadlift 395, and press 170 at a bodyweight of 210. It definitely took longer than if I had done strict SS, but I've also made great gains in cardio capacity, running ability, muscle endurance, Oly lifts, etc. So it depends on your goals, but it can be done.
well done geoff. those numbers sound good and the kind im aiming for...anyone whos being following CFSB/CFFB who has had good solid improvements?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Mani, SS doesn't have to include drinking an obscene amount of milk... but muscle isn't going to build itself. You need to have a decent amount of extra calories to build muscle. That shouldn't stop you from trying to do the lifting portion of SS and trying to balance the amount that you eat to still see gains.

It's certainly possible... its just EASIER to go crazy on calories for awhile, get crazy strong, then cut down.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I'm 42, 165lbs and have been on he main site only. I am on my second year of crossfit now. I squat 285/290. deadlift 325, could be more, but I have some arthritus in my back.
Clean 190lbs jerk over 200lbs Press 140.
I Still get stronger as I go. I don't know what numbers you are looking for, but the main page made me stronger.
I eat clean and take vitimins.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Kevin Simons

Profile:

If your goal is going as Rx'd, I'd suggest that you usually go pretty heavy in your WODs even if it takes a little longer to work through. Keep track of your time, and the next time it comes up try to match it with a slightly heavier weight. Progressive resistance is the key to developing strength. There are enough bodyweight/running workouts I don't think you need to be too concerned about the loss of metcon when you are lifting. Get used to lifting the big weights, then you can focus on lifting them fast.

Just doing the Mainpage workouts since August, my roommate has seen some dramatic strength gains, and is well on his way to doing the WODs as Rx'd. I forget his other numbers off the top of my head, but I know his deadlift went from 205 to over 300 in a few short months. I was already very strong before starting CF, so while I do the Rx'd WODs at a breakneck pace, he takes longer by using weights much heavier relative to his 1RM. The workout may look similar on paper, but it's a metcon workout for me and a strength WOD for him. I'll be on the floor clutching my chest feeling like my heart and lungs are on fire, and he'll be complaining about muscular fatigue.

CrossFit, to me, is all about bringing up weaknesses and it sounds to me that (somewhat ironically) strength is yours. Keep pushing hard and you'll be doing WODs as Rx'd in no time. Good luck!
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

done strictly with main-page, often scaled, CF. Non-perfect adhearance to the schedule and far from perfect diet, but when I worked out, the intensity was there:

"Linda" at bodyweight 135 lbs:

October 11, 2007:
deadlift at 125 lbs
bench at 115 lbs
clean at 65 lbs

time: 31:35

November 20, 2007:
deadlift at 170 lbs
bench at 135 lbs
clean at 70 lbs

time: 35:50

march 3, 2008:
As Rx'd
deadlift at 205
bench at 135
clean at 100

time: 32:00

Yes, you can build a TON of strength with strict CF. Don't let anyone tell you different. Yes, SS is faster, but it only improves strength, and to be honest, at the novice level it's not THAT much faster... ANYTHING will make a novice a lot stronger in a hurry. which method is appropriate depends on your goals.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
CJ Ryan Harris

Profile:

Strict main page (for the most part)

at a weight of 185

Deadlift - 475
Backsquat - 330
Press - 160
Front Squat 3 rep map - 260 (currently tied my 1 rep max)

I was never really weak as a kid. However Still in about a year my deadlift went up from 360 (first attempt) to 475. I've never followed any other weight training or program other then just hard work growing up.

I still hit WODs i have to scale once in a while. Squat cleans, or overhead squats for example. Not to great on those. More or less a form issue rather than strength though.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
James Rios

Profile:

in my first 10 months of crossfiting, i went from never deadlifting in my life, to a 1RM DL of 305.
i was SO pumped when i pulled that.
cant wait for 405
(my goal is beginning of july, presently at~ 350, so theres a pretty good chance ill be meeting it)

oh and i put on 15 pounds of muscle... that was nice...

as to my programing at the time: pretty much just as much of mainsite as i could fit into my schedule, which still wasnt much. averaged only 3-4 days a week of crossfit, and STILL improved that much...

and get this: i dont go to an affiliate.
everything i learned i got from the free vids on mainsite,
only recently after almost 2 years of crossfiting did i finally get fed up with hearing about the awesomness that it is, and not experiencing it.
SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT A LONG TIME AGO.
best 25$ ive probably ever spent.

Last edited by James Rios : 11-24-2009 at 01:04 AM. Reason: forgot stuff.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Know this...some people just don't have the genes to be able to do certain things...even with a SS cycle. just keep working hard and measure your progress.