CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Living Out of a hotel for 3 Months. Limited equipment and food options. Any Ideas

Congrats on your progress!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:
Thumbs down Re: Living Out of a hotel for 3 Months. Limited equipment and food options. Any Ideas

I will be staying in the same Hotel for three months. I drove around yesterday looking for a gym. With no luck, I Came back to the hotel and did an "improvised" workout, and it was more than sufficient. With all the ideas that every ones giving I think there is enough variation to get through the three months. I will be bringing my kettle bells the next time I go home.

Eating out has not been horrible, Other salads. I have been getting the grilled chicken, shrimp or fish and substituting potatoes, fries and the other bad stuff with steamed vegetables. So far its been pretty easy and most places are happy to make the switch. I am still going to look for ways to make my own food.

As far as the pullup bar thanks for the link john. I found this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/P90X-Pull-Up-Chi...QQcmdZViewItem Has any one used this style before? It seems to be similar to the link from john.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and great suggestions.

Rohan
Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
Steven Anderson

Profile:
Re: Living Out of a hotel for 3 Months. Limited equipment and food options. Any Ideas

Go to rosstraining.com and buy "Never Gymless." IMO it is the best strength and conditioning book ever published.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
Aaron Trent

Profile:

My Dad bought the P90X program and bar. The program is good for your typical person that's in it for looks. Most of the movements are useful multi-joint exercises.
The bar, it is freaking awesome! There are an infinite number of usable hand positions on the thing so you can use whatever grip you want.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Chec out Cf Tonawanda, or CF Niagra. They are both very close. My family's from Buffalo. I love it there. Delaware Park has pull-up bars and is beautiful to workout at.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #16
Charles Moreland

Profile:

I don't know the area, but personally I think you should do a scouting run around the area the hotel is at. Run means actual running While on the run check from some public urban environments. Many of these kinds of places will have bars and things you can improvise with to do pull ups and such.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #17
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

I would like to do some scouting on foot but the ground has been covered in ice for about 2 days, Im not worried about me slipping but the people in the cars sliding into me. I will scout on foot once the ice melts.

Aaron I am going to order that p90x bar I am not intrested in the whole system (I am a firm believer in function over form any way so you killed my curiousity about the system) thanks for the info on it. so pullup bar problem solved and i can attach my rings to it gives me even more variety.

Steven, I went to rosstraining he is on some hiatus in Europe. So i will have to wait a couple days for the book. Thanks for the link. Thats an awesome website tons of info.

There was "lunch" at the office yesterday which consisted of pizza, wings and salad (actually just a bowl of lettuce). Needless to say my lunch was barely satisfying. ANd breakfast at the hotel was ham and an apple because the majority of options where breads bagels and danishes and some weird looking egg thing with a crust ont the bottom. Sooo I went out yesterday after work and bought some cooking supplies, eating out is getting old really quick.

Question about transporting kettlebells for those who have done it. Whats the best way to Bring those on a plane?? I was thinking i can sub the dumbells in the hotels "fitness room" but the machines that are in there take up so much room that swings and turkish getups may be out of the question if some one else is in there. There is More than enough space in my hotel room so I would like get my kbs up here. I can make the 450 mile drive to and from if needed but that wont be for a few weeks.

An idea that came to me from browsing through rosstraining. Making sandbag with a duffelbag. I dont have one at home. So I use it while im here and when im leaving (because sand is cheap ) ditch the sand and now i have a bag to travel back home with and when I get home make a trip to the local home depot and I now have a sand bag again.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. The feeling that I had in the beginning of the week about keeping up my progress and eating right while out here being a near impossible task is going away quickly.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #18
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

Randy I dont know the area to well. Where exactly would I find delaware park, I am actually in amherst which is outside of buffalo. Near the UB campus.

An affiliate would not be a bad idea. I have not worked with affiliates before. Are there ussualy room for a temp member or is it based on the affiliate?.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Sookdeo View Post
Randy I dont know the area to well. Where exactly would I find delaware park, I am actually in amherst which is outside of buffalo. Near the UB campus.

An affiliate would not be a bad idea. I have not worked with affiliates before. Are there ussualy room for a temp member or is it based on the affiliate?.
It's near Colvin Ave. and Hertel Ave. Take the 195 to get there (it circles the entire city). Mapquest or ask for directions, people out there pretty cool. You are right next to Tonawanda, which is where the affiliate is located. Given your situation I think he would make room for you.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #20
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

I started looking into the area affiliates. Turns out My company is paying for my travel back home every weekend so I can still keep up with the oly lifts/heavy bag etc. the 2 days a week I am home .
This past week I have lot of searching through crossfits videos and some of the sites recommended by forum members such as rosstraining.com as well as beastskills.com as well as the info Sarena sent, thaks again. I have been Incorporating a mix of all of these tips and have been able to give myself a great deal of variety with the minimal equipment. I found out no one goes to the hotels tiny"fitness room" at 5:30 am and its also open 24 hours. So the med balls and dumbbells are all mine for at least an hour. I also ordered Never Gymless from ross training Once I started looking though some of his videos I decided the book was very much needed. waiting on the doorway pullup bar ( i need to measure the doorway it seems wider than 32"). But the Bathroom door in my hotel room has been sufficing for pullups. I picked up a heavy duty duffel bag from an army/navy store for $ 20 so. The sand bag will be done this week.

In the past week I worked up to doing headstands and holding them for about 12 seconds. ohh yeah. from my last weigh in about 4 weeks ago at 210, I am now down to 200 and I need to poke another hole in my belt. Thanks all for the help. With the variety and amount of new things I have been able do this week I am positive I can continue to progress even while away from home.