CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-23-2004, 05:47 AM   #31
Bob Long

Profile:
For swimming, remember the theories of stroke mechanics have changed a lot since the 1940's, so I'm not sure this book would be the best to get. The currently recommended book for swimming techniques is the Total Immersion books and videos. I used them and it did help my strokes, although I found the drills and body-awareness stuff sort of tedious and nerve-racking,
Old 11-25-2004, 02:56 AM   #32
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Wow Coach,

What an increadible book this is. Just got mine and it is a treasure that is for sure. Those guys were way cool, I can't believe they have someone in there doing a one hand planche.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #33
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
Bob,
Of course that is true. However, there is a difference between competitive swimming stroke technique and survival swimming. Also, notice that in some cases technique has made a full turn back. The best example is freestyle arm stroke. Back in the 40's the straight arm pullback was used. Then in the 60's the "S" stroke became standard. Recently (and you could see this in Athens 2004)the straight pullback has made a return.
To be honest, I am really interested in the manual more for historical reasons.
As to TI: I have a few of their products and it is good thought provoking stuff. Still, I have to agree with you about the tediousness.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #34
Bob Long

Profile:
Yehoshua: Agreed. This series of books is worth the price just for historical interest. Also true about the retro-stroke mechanics currently popular. I may have to rethink how I teach swimming (again). I'm getting too old for this.
And you are right: TI works, but I don't know how long I can stick with it.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:50 AM   #35
Bob Long

Profile:
Did a lot of reading in this series over the Thanksgiving weekend, and I think the main point I came away with was: We're not so tough. Some of the men in the gymnastics book look like they could compete on an equal basis with the best of the crossfit elite today, and they were doing it 60 years ago, in the midst of preparation for war, probably eating a diet which was less than ideal, probably smoking, and living under the pressure of being away from their families and knowing they were preparing for a job where their survival was very much in doubt. I struggle to complete most of the WOD's knowing that my biggest worry today is what kind of hassle I'll get at the office. Hey, what have I got to complain about?

I'll use a word I don't often use for a secular book: this book was inspirational.

Old 12-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #36
Dave Clarke

Profile:
I just got my copy of gymnastics and tumbling, too. This is a GREAT book, with many an inspirational photo of some aviator doing some incredible feat.