CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-27-2004, 06:30 PM   #21
Pat Janes

Profile:

What a great site!

I grabbed a copy and after searching around the site, picked up a cheap copy of Siff's "Facts and Fallacies" as well.

Lots of really cheap copies of fitness related books to be found.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:20 PM   #22
Graham Hayes

Profile:
My copy arrived today and I also highly recommend it. The wealth of information will keep me busy for years, even as a Crossfitter with only a doorway pull up bar and a garden. There are some interesting excercises that from face value alone appear to be very valuable, and the records as mentioned by Bob is very interesting and in some cases jaw dropping.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #23
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Still waiting for my copy :uhoh:

On the plus side I got "The Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia" by John Jesse.

Awesome!

Old 11-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #24
John McCracken

Profile:
John Jesse's book could be a CrossFit bible. It's hard to get unless you're willing to pay an arm & a leg.

Keith, where did you find your copy? I was able to pick up a copy off E-bay earlier this year after a recommendation from David Heyer.

It's an interesting coincidence that you mentioned Jesse's book because I went to my favorite used book store this morning hoping to find a copy to send to coach before the training seminar in Colorado. Unfortunately, no luck. I was however able to pick up a copy of the book Kurt Thomas on Gymnastics.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #25
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
John

I saw it on the used section of amazon.com for $39 plus shipping and handling came out to $42.49 Looked like a steal compared to what others were charging. If you go to amazon now the cheapest copy is $75. My copy looks brand new. Mint condition. Just got it yesterday and have been thumbing through it. Looks great so far. Yeah, I could see it on the crossfit mandatory reading list. Now that you say that, I'm going to guard my copy very closely.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:32 AM   #26
Bob Long

Profile:
The Navy gymnastics book is one of a series published during World War 2 for the training of pilots. I also found the "Military Track" edition of the series which has a lot of good ideas for obstacle courses and track testing. It is interesting to see that, 60 years ago, some of our fathers and grandfathers were training basically the same way crossfit encourages. What's the saying (Everything old is new again)?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #27
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
My dad was in pre-flight for the Navy when WWII ended. I described the contents of the book to him. (My copy arrived last week.) He said that was an accurate description of what they were doing. Monday thru Friday were PT days. Every afternoon they ran the obstacle course. If you didn't beat your time from the previous day you had to run it a second time. He said there was a fair amount of puking. (Pukie has a long history.) Saturdays were sports days: boxing, basketball and a game with a big four foot ball that opposing teams had to get into the opposition's end zone however they could. He said he was pretty damn fit when he got discharged.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:41 AM   #28
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
I ordered the book and I was wondering: does anyone know of a navy training manual for swimming?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:36 AM   #29
Graham Hayes

Profile:
When you get the book you will see listed a whole series of physical culture books. The swimming one is:

Swimming and Diving
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 PM   #30
Yehoshua Zohar

Profile:
Graham - Thanks for the info.