CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Robb Gunn

Profile:
Partially Torn Patella Tendon

Hello Everyone,

Well the injury bug has bit yet again, it sucks getting old. I have a partailly torn Patella Tendon, which by the way is no fun. I have tried some physical therapy but its not going to keep me out of surgery. My question is this...is there anyone out there who has had this type of injury and had it repaired that can give me a heads up as to what to expect recovery wise. The doctor is going to go in and scope it to find the worst areas and then make a incision down the middle to do the sewing. While he is there he is also going to clean up some stuff around the meniscus and also take care of some bone fragments. Last but not least, he is actually going to cut the bone, which he said would help the healing process and also take care of some minor issues with that bone. I have a feeling that this is not going to be a fun procedure, but whatever it takes to get me back. Any input would be appreciated!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Partially Torn Patella Tendon

Generally, any type of tendon repair is going to take upwards of 8-12 months to get back to normal/weightlifting activity.

The fact that its partially torn will probably speed that up a couple months or so.

But yeah, the other athroscopic stuf would generally ge you back up on your feet in about 6-8 weeks or so.

Expect that you'll be rehabbing at least 6 months.

Eating correctly, sleeping a lot, and continuing to workout around your injury will significantly help y our healing rates.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Robb Gunn

Profile:

Steven,

Thank you for the reply, that seems like a very long time to sit out especially for as active as I have been. I have a feeling that I will be going nuts . If it works for the long term though, it will be worth it. Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Gillian Steele

Profile:

It will drive you bonkers, but coming from someone who has 2 major ACL reconstructions, a knee re-alignment and snapped shins (and I'm only 25!!), your better having the sugery, resting and rehabbing it properly and coming back better and stronger!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Robb Gunn

Profile:

Gillian,

This will be my 5th knee surgery on this knee, but all of the others have been pretty minor. Why God made knees has got me...lol. I know it needs to be done but Im just worried about the rehab process. I have never been as patient as I should be in these cases, but as I get older I'm learning. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Gunn View Post
Hello Everyone,

Well the injury bug has bit yet again, it sucks getting old. I have a partailly torn Patella Tendon, which by the way is no fun. I have tried some physical therapy but its not going to keep me out of surgery. My question is this...is there anyone out there who has had this type of injury and had it repaired that can give me a heads up as to what to expect recovery wise. The doctor is going to go in and scope it to find the worst areas and then make a incision down the middle to do the sewing. While he is there he is also going to clean up some stuff around the meniscus and also take care of some bone fragments. Last but not least, he is actually going to cut the bone, which he said would help the healing process and also take care of some minor issues with that bone. I have a feeling that this is not going to be a fun procedure, but whatever it takes to get me back. Any input would be appreciated!
Hi Robb,

How did it happen?

Justin
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
Robb Gunn

Profile:

Justin,

I honestly can't really pinpoint when or how it happened. I have trained MMA for about 10 years and I know that the wear and tear from that has caused alot of it, but I'm not 100% sure. Like I said in my earlier post, I have had knee problems for quite a while and I've always had pain, but as it got worse and more bothersome I decided to go get it checked out and this was the result.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
Gillian Steele

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Gunn View Post
Gillian,

This will be my 5th knee surgery on this knee, but all of the others have been pretty minor. Why God made knees has got me...lol. I know it needs to be done but Im just worried about the rehab process. I have never been as patient as I should be in these cases, but as I get older I'm learning. Thanks for the reply.
Your welcome, I know where your coming from having had major knee surgeries myself, they even contemplated at one point giving me a new one!!! Hopefully the rehab process isn't too long for you