CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
David Ballard

Profile:
Question Troy vs Power Systems 100 lb kettlebell

I'm looking to get the beast after a week on Jenny Craig (He lost six pounds!). Which one would ya'll recommend. I'm gonna start off with two hands, maybe some health-threatening cleans, but I'd like to get to a point where I can do one arm swings and, lo and behold, some snatches. Anyways, are there big differences between them, I can get them for about the same price. Which one, if any, is more recommendable?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Troy vs Power Systems 100 lb kettlebell

Are you sure you want to start with a 100lb KB? That's heavier than rx'd for any CF workout, or any other workout I've ever seen for that matter. KBs aren't a 1RM or 5RM type tool, you use them for conditioning purposes, 20 or so reps per set usually. And I wouldn't recommend doing "health-threatening" anything...start with a manageable weight and work up.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Are you sure you want to start with a 100lb KB? That's heavier than rx'd for any CF workout, or any other workout I've ever seen for that matter. KBs aren't a 1RM or 5RM type tool, you use them for conditioning purposes, 20 or so reps per set usually. And I wouldn't recommend doing "health-threatening" anything...start with a manageable weight and work up.

As to your question re: Troy vs. Power Systems. I have a 35 and 55 from Troy (via Bert at Kettlebell King) and like them just fine, but I can't compare them to Power Systems KBs.

- Mark
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
John McEneany

Profile:

Power Systems kettlebells are the worst I have seen.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Paul Poterek

Profile:

Dave, buy ours over at Fitness Unlimited over off 1960 and 290,then if you're looking for immediate gratification come pick it up at our warehouse over off 290 between Dacoma and Antoine and try it out.

If you don't like it, return it. Net Distance for the operation will be about 35 miles and even though I'm biased, our kb is better. FYI- I live about 5 minutes from Cypress.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Paul J. Poterek
Troy Barbell
Paul.poterek@troybarbell.com
Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Eric, he's not asking what an appropriately sized first kettlebell would be; rather, he's asking what brand he should buy. In addition to myself, I have several gym members who regularly swing our 100 lb-er. We use it for Turkish get-ups occasionally, as well, and I highly recommend one as an addition to an already well-stocked gym.

David, you should take Paul up on his offer and try out Troy's for yourself. I've never used a Troy KB before, so I can't speak for their quality, but different brands have drastically different feels. Definitely give it a test drive.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
Eric, he's not asking what an appropriately sized first kettlebell would be; rather, he's asking what brand he should buy. In addition to myself, I have several gym members who regularly swing our 100 lb-er. We use it for Turkish get-ups occasionally, as well, and I highly recommend one as an addition to an already well-stocked gym.
I know that wasn't his question, but I just wanted to make sure he'd thought things through....the original post made it sound like he was looking for a weight where he could get started with KB work.

Back on topic--I'm not a fan of the handle shape or texture on the Power Systems kettlebells, so I'd recommend checking the Troys out in the store.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Troy KB's! i got mine from Bert of thekettlebellking and i like them alot. The largest one I have is 70lb it is brutal! I recomend the Bert's site, however I have no idea what you are talking about, who lost 6lb? Jenny Craig wtf?(not knocking the program but why would a week on jenny craig make you want to do any "life threatening cleans"? anyway unsolicited advice time...get a 35 or a 55 or two of the...alot more you can do with them and can always use two kb's in one hand....