CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Charly Aurelia

Profile:
Outdoor Heavy Bag Mount and Pull Up Bar

Hey,

I got the go ahead to build a heavy bag mount and pull up bar (I want to hang rings too) in the side yard.

I was thinking three 4" x 4" x 10' pieces.

Sink two vertically, about 2' deep with cement, about 10' apart....then run the other horizontally atop the other two (using bracket mounts).

I want to mount the bag (75-100 lbs probably) midway between the two verticals. And mount a pipe pullup bar along the side of the horizontal beam.

How does this sound? Is the span (~9' 4") too wide to hold up to the use of the heavy bag or two adults doing pull ups?

Thanks

Last edited by Charly Aurelia; 03-27-2009 at 09:36 AM..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
Re: Outdoor Heavy Bag Mount and Pull Up Bar

I'm not an engineer but....
I'd use a 4x6 on the horizontal - I don't think that'd flex - and the cost vs a 4x4 wouldn't be much more.

You can use large eye bolts in the bottom of your horizontal. Run plumbing pipe through them - keep all the forces flowing straight down, like when you do a mil press, rather than mounting the bar on the side of your horizontal.

I'd wonder about the uprights loosening up over time, especially with the back and forth motion of the heavy bag swinging and kipped pull ups. If you could tie the tops of the uprights into a solid building or at least run diagonal supports from each upright to the ground you'd really increase the stability.

And if you are in a termite-y location I'd just use metal fence posts so you don't have to think about redoing this again in two-three years.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Charly Aurelia

Profile:

Thanks for the ideas.

I am thinking of sinking them 3 feet deep and using the 4 x 6 for the beam.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Charly Aurelia

Profile:

Priced out the 4x6 and it's $5 more than the 4x4.

I've been thinking about whether I should go with 4 x 6s or even 6 x 6s for the uprights. I don't want to go through the trouble (or cost) of putting this up and then finding out it isn't quite strong or stable enough.

If I do the 4 x 6s for the uprights, would it be best to orient them so...when looking at the structure like this ____
l l
...the wide side of the 4 x 6 would be facing you on both the uprights and the horizontal beam? This would allow the horizontal to rest on the 4" side, which would be the strongest position for the downward force applied to it from both the weight of the bag and people...correct?

Or would you recommend I do 4x6 uprights with a 6 x 6 horizontal....or just do all 6x6s?

I am thinking of sinking the uprights at least 3' with cement in any case, so I probably will go with 12' long ones so I can get 8-9' of height.

I can not tie the uprights into a structure and I have little room for diagonals.

Thanks !
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

6x6 uprights.
4x6 crosspiece with the 4inch side on the up & down.

Go to a builders supply place and tell them you want to sink 2 concrete pilings 3-4 feet in the ground. Get a big cardboard tube they will sell you for a form. It will be 3-4 feet long and 1-2 feet in diameter. Put it in the ground and fill with concrete then place a bracket in the wet concrete. When it dries you will bolt your uprights into the bracket. This way if the wood ever rots or gets termite infested you can replace it with little problem and without digging anything out of the ground.

Get 2 heavy brackets that will tie your uprights to the horizontals.

You are trying to get a lot of mass (concrete and timber) because you can't brace with diagnioals or tie into something.

Take a look at a book on building patios and fences - it will give you the basics.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Brendan Smith

Profile:

Charly:

I'm looking to build the same. Have you completed your's yet? if so, would you be willing to share a photo and any lessons learned about the design?

Thanks,

Brendan