CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-03-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I've just started the zone diet but as an exchange student in a foreign country it has been a bit difficult for me for the following reasons:
a) I don't have a permanent address
b) I am on a budget
c) I don't have access to a lot of foods
d) Cannot read nutrition labels in Swedish

Not having a permanent address has meant I have not been able to read Dr Sears books, however I have tried to glean what I can off various message boards. However I was hoping i could post what I've eaten today and could be told if I am on the right track, or am falling short of the diet.

Breakfast: Handful of peanut (unsalted, encased), grapefruit, apple
Snack: Banana, more peanuts
Lunch: 200gm hamburger meat (fried in vegetable oil), boiled string beans, asparagus, snowpeas, 410gm kidney beans boiled
Snack: Pear, more peanuts
Dinner: Chicken fillet (friend in vegetable oil), asparagus, snowpeas, fried egg and mushrooms.

Am I more or less following along this diet? If it helps I am 5'11", 176 pounds with 11% body fat. My workout today consisted of pushups, situps, pullups and chin ups training to fail. I have no equipment whatsoever, which is why I am not strictly following the WOD.

Cheers
Old 05-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

To break it done to the simplesy level you should eat protein, fruits and/or vegetables, and some "good" fat at every meal. For breakfast I would add eggs and sub almonds or macadamia nuts for peanuts. For the first snack I woudl add some cottage cheese or canned tuna, and again eat a diffrent kind of fat choice. At lunch I would find another way to cook your hamburger meat and purchase lean meat. Also at lunch less kidney beans, maybe 1/3 of that. For snack 2 see the above concerns for snack 1. At dinner drop the fried food. Consider taking some fish oil as well.

(Message edited by nick_cummings on May 03, 2006)
Old 05-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
First things first, I would buy CrossFit Journal #21.

Use the chart from that to see what your block reqirements are, or go to http://www.drsears.com/malebodyfatcalculator.member and sign up for free and use the calculator to see how many blocks of food per day you need. I would say you are about a 18 blocker or so. http://www.drsears.com/foodblockguide.page has a block guide as well. Every measurment on that page denotes one block of food.

A block is amount of food that consists of 7 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbs, and 1.5 grams of fat. It's a assumed that for every block of protien there is also 1.5 grams of fat, so all in all you will get 3 grams of fat.

Now, every meal will consist of equal blocks of protien, fat, and carbohydrate. This mean that evey meal will have meat in it, so your breakfast and snacks are incorrect.

Next, you will need to break up your 18 blocks throughout the day. This could mean 5-5-2-5-1 or anything similar.

So, that means you will eat 5 blocks of food for breakfast, 5 at your next mean, 2 for the next one ect.

When you do this you will get 40% carbohydrates, 30% fat, and 30% protien.

Any questions?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Robert Ronngren

Profile:
Where in sweden are you?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
My fiance when she was with the national team would keep it simple. Especially in another country.

Canned Tuna
Brown Bread or your local equivalent
Peanut Butter
Banana's
Lettuce
Milk
Boiled eggs

That's what I would try to eat if I could get it.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Neal - That's great, thankyou so much for explaining it to me, but does every Crossfitter really eat meat five times a day? Also, what is the block rating of a banana?
Robert - I'm in Uppsala for the semester
Chris - Simple is fine, but I'm here for six months.

(Message edited by skitzmixv9 on May 03, 2006)
Old 05-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Mitchell, if you think the zone is correct about getting into hormonal balance every meal and all that, then yes you will have to eat meat every meal.

1/3 of a 9 inch banana counts as 1 block of carbohydrate, so, 1 banana will take up 3 blocks of carbs for a meal.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I think I am a 16 blocker according to my calculations. Does this mean I should eat 16 blocks of each column (protein, fat and carbs)? Because otherwise my 7 ounce hamburger and 5 ounce chicken fillet have taken up nearly my entire days food.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Mitchell,

16 blocks of each macronutrient is in order.
16 blocks X 7 grams protein = 112g protein
16 blocks X 9 grams carbohydrates = 144g carbs
16 blocks X 1.5 grams fat (or 3 grams if your protein is fat free) = 24-48g fat (depending on protein source)

Personally, if I were in your situation, I would focus on getting protein + good carbs (fruits/veggies) + good fat (nuts, olive oil, etc.) at each meal. I don't think I would bog myself down with macro ratios and what-not. Your call though...
Old 05-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Sorry to hijack the post. Johnathan, what's up with the e-mail man, no reply? Hook me up with some of your nutrition info. I was planning an experiment this month and a could really use some info on how I could incorporate some carb and fat loading cycles into my IF plan, If you're willing to help out.