CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: Starting to feel beat up while leaning out. What to change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Falcon View Post
What I've found to be the difference maker is the timing of when I eat my carbs. I'm tracking my macros, currently aiming for 200g protein, 160g carbs, and 80g fat per day (puts me right near 2100 calories total). I've gone to the gym for an evening workout several times having only consumed 60 or so grams of carbs, and I bonked hard during those workouts. I try to make sure I'm going into the workout with at least 100g of carbs in my system so I have the energy to sustain me through the workout.
just curious when you say 160g carbs, is that total carbs or after you subtracted out fiber? Im sitting at 200lbs and have been trying to slowly cut some body fat but my daily calories are more like 2700 and carbs are 200-240 on most workout days.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

6'2", 182# at 19% body fat = too little muscle mass, not too much body fat. How are you measuring your composition?

I'm 6'0", 198# and 16.7% BF. That's 165# lean mass, compared to your 147# lean mass. You're two inches taller than me, yet almost 20# less lean mass. Ideal composition, I'd say maybe you have 5# of body fat to lose, but I think you should be aiming to put on 8# of lean mass, more importantly. That would put you at 185#, and 16% BF.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #13
Jason Falcon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
just curious when you say 160g carbs, is that total carbs or after you subtracted out fiber? Im sitting at 200lbs and have been trying to slowly cut some body fat but my daily calories are more like 2700 and carbs are 200-240 on most workout days.
That's total carbs for me daily.

I calculated my #'s from the iifym.com calculator found here (SFW) http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/.

I know IIFYM has a terrible rep from all the "bros" that eat absolute crap and claim immunity to any negative effects, but I've been doing it while eating clean and have had great results. All my lifts are getting stronger even down almost 20 lbs now.

Edit: When using their calculator, that's using their BF estimate based on my height/weight. And I choose "Aggressive" under Fat Loss for my goal.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #14
Chris Jones

Profile:

thanks Jason, ive used that calculator before but its been awhile. I just put in my info and even for standard cutting it puts me at 175c of carbs, so i may drop mine to 150-175 for a week or two and see if i can lean up before me and the wife head to the beach in june
Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 AM   #15
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
6'2", 182# at 19% body fat = too little muscle mass, not too much body fat. How are you measuring your composition?
I'm 6 feet not 6'2". 19% was measured with a dexa scan.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #16
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
I'm 6 feet not 6'2". 19% was measured with a dexa scan.
Dexa scans have a tendency to overestimate fat percentages. Whatever the case, don't get too caught up with that. I'd say try doing 1 or 2 refeed days a week. On those days shoot for 4000-4500 calories. You'll seem a little bloated by the end of it, but you'll lean back out on the lower calorie days. This should allow you to put on muscle slowly, or at least maintain, and increase recovery ability while continuing the fat loss. Also, listen to your body. As Chris mentioned, the body adapts quickly and its needs change over time. If you feel rundown, eat more. When you feel better, add some lower calorie days back in. If you have more muscle, increased strength, and more energy for workouts you will burn more calories during said workouts. If you keep eating less and lifting less, you will work yourself into a hole.