CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Jason Tebedo

Profile:
Strict Paleo Zone

I have been following strict Paleo/Zone for the past two weeks and have had amazing results! I am 32 years old and 5'10". When I started zone I weighted 189 lbs. Now I am down to 183 (16% BF per tape). My goal is 10% by the end of July (172).

I don't feel any stronger but I do feel lighter which helps for the long metcons. I haven't loss any strength gains but I do feel a bit weaker, which I attribute to my body's response to flipping the metabolic switch. Everyday my body becomes more and more accustomed to using fat as fuel.

Included/attached below is my exact diet (WFS). ***Note: I am deployed to Afghanistan so food varieties are not an option. Basically I stick to what's available.

Every Friday I will update the message board to show my results.

Let me know what you think or ask away if you have any questions.

-JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (92.2 KB, 987 views)
Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Strict Paleo Zone

If you are at all active you need to be eating more than that. There is no doubt you feel weaker, you are eating around 1700 calories. Also, a diet comprised of apples, oranges, almonds, and sausage does not sound close to heathy.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
If you are at all active you need to be eating more than that. There is no doubt you feel weaker, you are eating around 1700 calories. Also, a diet comprised of apples, oranges, almonds, and sausage does not sound close to heathy.
All spot on; I know you're limited on food, but I know for a fact that you aren't THAT limited.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Jason Tebedo

Profile:

Not sure if I agree with you. My metcons have been getting faster and lifts have stayed the same. The majority of people trying to lose weight almost always lose some strength...but my strength has stayed the same.

I'm exactly where I need to be IAW a .7 activity level and Dr. Sears' recommendations. Furthermore the 16 blocks are validated by Matt Chan who is a top games competitor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZknRTMX534 (WFS).

If I use this methodology to get to my ideal body fat percentage and then up the fat to sustain the optimal weight, I should see nothing but WOD improvements.

With respect to the food choices, I work night shift so variety is not an option.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

All you have available to eat are eggs, apples, oranges, almonds, and sausage?

Also, two weeks is hardly enough time to assess the impact of a diet on your training and/or body composition.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
Jason Tebedo

Profile:

When we work nights we have food delivered to us one time during a 12 hour period, with the exception of breakfast which I can go eat. Instead of eating breaded meats, pasta and deserts, I stick to fruits, nuts, beef jerky and chicken.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

You realize 1/3 of your diet is fruit right? 607 calories from fruit. I mean you are eating five apples and three oranges a day, how is all that acid not rotting your teeth?

No offense but your diet is pretty awful. Unless you have a wheat or gluten allergy then I would highly recommend ditching the whole paleo thing and start eating breaded meats if that is your only option.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Jason Tebedo

Profile:

Why eat bread when it has little to no micronutrient value, when I can eat apples, pears and oranges that have a high mircronutrient values?

Oranges and apples aren't going to rot your teeth.

Apples are actually a base and oranges convert to a base once injested into the body.

You should read CFJ 21.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

They are not converted to a base inside your mouth where they contact your teeth. Also, breaded chicken isn't eating just bread, you are eating meat that has some bread on it. But hey, I don't really care what you eat, you seem pretty set on it so best of luck.

Hopefully you will keep us updated more than other threads that start out like this (aka 28 days in ketosis) as I am genuinely interested in hearing your progress.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #10
Adam Zelenay

Profile:

Hey bro,
Im by no means an expert on nutrition, but your diet appears to lack some serious proteins.