CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #31
Joey Dussel

Profile:
Re: Coaches Sleeping With Coaches/Clients -- How to Handle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
You may not be allowed to have coaches sign a non-compete, however, there is nothing that I know of that states you cannot have employees or contractors sign a non-solicitation clause. Proof would be easy, copies of emails and texts. A lawsuit for loss of wages for your business would be rather simple to follow.

Lesson learned. Sorry to hear about that. We had something similar occur, but thankfully, less than 5 members had left for the other affiliate. Perhaps a bit of Karma, as they are not out of business after 2 years.
From what I've learned, non-competes are basically worthless in Oregon (only enforceable if the new venue is obviously hurting the previous business, AND the individual is making more per year than they were AND the community doesn't benefit from more competition / options); and really really really tough (and expensive--lawyer fees) to enforce in California. Those are the only two states I know of though.

-Joey
Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #32
Brian Strump

Profile:

Agreed, not the same with a non solicitation agreement. It does not prohibit someone from opening a business; but from soliciting the one in which they've left members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dussel View Post
From what I've learned, non-competes are basically worthless in Oregon (only enforceable if the new venue is obviously hurting the previous business, AND the individual is making more per year than they were AND the community doesn't benefit from more competition / options); and really really really tough (and expensive--lawyer fees) to enforce in California. Those are the only two states I know of though.

-Joey
Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #33
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Groves View Post
When I knew I had developed a romantic interest in a member, I approached the gym owners privately and asked them for permission before asking the member on a date. We discussed the potential pros and cons of the situation and (thankfully) came to an agreement that resulted in my eventual marriage.

I think that there's definitely room for romance, but it needs to be on the terms of the business owner. The situations in the original post reek of college hook up culture which has no place in a business and there should be no question about firing those that have slept with others that are married.
You handled it the way it should be. And congrats on finding your wife!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)