CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
David Heyer

Profile:
It has been a long time...

I just came back to Crossfit today after a LONG lay off. I had a boat-load of injuries, and wanted to focus on strength. For the last two years, I trained "Dinosaur" style (Brooks Kubik). The results...
*I gained 15 lbs. of mostly muscle @ 46 y.o.
*Strength gains were minimal!?!
*Lost endurance!!
Today, I got smoked! Needless to say, I will be training CF for a while.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: It has been a long time...

You spent two years focusing on strength and came back with minimal strength gains?

- Mark
Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
David Heyer

Profile:

Yep. I was pretty strong to begin with. Now, I have pretty much reached the maximum of my genetic potential, (without any PE's) and I hope to maintain as much as possible at 46.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Unless you're doing 200,300,400,500 on press, bench, squat, and deadlift you are no where near your genetic potential. And even those numbers I'm really low balling. With proper training I think any male can get 300,400,500,600. My guess is either the program sucked, you didn't eat enough, or for your age you didn't recover well enough (too much volume, stress, sleep, etc). Even at 46 after a few years you should be able to see those numbers up the hill.

What are your numbers at?

As for the endurance it doesn't matter. It'll come back in a month or two. Conditioning comes and goes really fast.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 AM   #5
David Heyer

Profile:

Jordan,
Thanks for the response. I have had the 200/300/400/500 numbers since college, but the 300/400/500/600 I have never attained. I also train Martial Arts, and that is my first priority. I stopped doing CF due to overuse injuries that I should have fixed before it became a problem. Like the old farmer advice says, "Too young, too dumb, too late too schmart".

I disagree with you that any male can attain those numbers. Maybe in one or two, not all. For the most part, genetic freaks, dudes on 'roids, and guys who only train for those lifts can achieve them. I know I sound negative, but I just haven't seen it. However, I could be totally wrong! If you have those numbers, I apologize.

Dinosaur Training is an outstanding program, very similar to Starting Strength (which I see you have read). I agree with you that I did not eat enough to gain strength! I won't allow myself to hit 20% bodyfat! I tend to stay in the 12-16% range.

Dave