CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #51
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: HELP! How to get bigger as ectomorph!!!

Don't worry all that much about proportions until you have the raw amount down.

You don't have to religiously track everything all the time, but it helps at first to get a good idea of how much you should be eating. You need to be somewhere up north of 3000 cals, there's no way around it. That is more important than the ratio of carbs to fats to protein. Set protein at somewhere around 1 g/lb lean body mass and fill in around it.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #52
Eric Preston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Don't worry all that much about proportions until you have the raw amount down.

You don't have to religiously track everything all the time, but it helps at first to get a good idea of how much you should be eating. You need to be somewhere up north of 3000 cals, there's no way around it. That is more important than the ratio of carbs to fats to protein. Set protein at somewhere around 1 g/lb lean body mass and fill in around it.
I'm working hard to keep my cal intake up. I sit at my desk w/ peanut butter, carrots, and roasted soybeans all day.

I was more energized throughout me ENTIRE workout yesterday than I've ever been... Feeling good!

Jeff, you've been a huge help with this. I truly appreciate it.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #53
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Preston View Post
I'm working hard to keep my cal intake up. I sit at my desk w/ peanut butter, carrots, and roasted soybeans all day.

I was more energized throughout me ENTIRE workout yesterday than I've ever been... Feeling good!

Keep in mind it can take a while to get used to eating more. Increase in little incements.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #54
David Finney

Profile:

Eric

For what its worth, I think you and I have similar body types. I was a very competitive cyclist through high school and college (6'3' 175, 6-8% body fat), and once I stopped racing, it was VERY difficult to get any good strength gains.

Crossfit got me stronger, but I wasn't seeing the gains that some of my friends were getting. I then decided to do 6 weeks of only strength training. No metcons, no running, no biking, and no swimming. I did this, and put on 10 lbs and increased all of my PRs. When I went back to the metcons, none of my times suffered, and most of them had gone up.

I'm no sports physiologist, but I think that our bodies excel at converting anything and everything into energy, so its hard to hold onto any extra mass. This is great for long distance events, but it makes it hard to gain muscle mass. The most effective workouts for me were composed of lots of reps at a medium-heavy weight. Then follow that with some lighter explosive exercises using the same muscle group. For example, I would do something like 10 x 10 of 75% 1 RM back squat, then 10 x 10 jumping back squats with 95 lbs, then some heavy step ups or something like that.

Again, I don't know the science behind it, I just know that it worked for me. For some reason taking my muscles to extreme fatigue, then making them perform explosive movements really helped my strength gains.

If you try something like what I did, good luck, because some of the workouts can be awful.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #55
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Be careful with the soybeans, if they aren't fermented they can increase your estrogen levels, which definitely won't help you put on size.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #56
Eric Preston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
Be careful with the soybeans, if they aren't fermented they can increase your estrogen levels, which definitely won't help you put on size.
wow, thanks Phil... quick google search, and I'm putting the soybeans down... no matter what their ratio of protein to carb/fat is.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #57
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Why complicate stuff with some vegetable proteins? Just eat meat. Fatty meat, lots of it, repeat.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #58
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:

Not a problem. Like I said, I've come from the same place, and I'm not even where I want to be yet. I have a can of peanuts at my desk right now actually.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #59
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

As far as beast food goes, big batches of rice and beans are hard to beat. Lots of everything you need for the swoller-trophy. Add EVOO or something similar if more cals are needed.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #60
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:

Carrots are low calorie and will fill you up. If you can't eat the number of cals you're looking for ditch those for something higher cal.