CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Jeff Russell
Member Jeff Russell is offline
 
Jeff Russell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London  Ontario
Posts: 6
Crossfit Supplements?

Hey guys. Recently i have been thinking about giving my supplement regiment an overhaul. Below is a list of what i currently use and i am looking for your opinions as to wether or not i should change it or add/subtract from it. I am also on the paleo, so that has to factor in as well.

Pre Workout: (nothing as of right now)
Intra/Post: BSN Amino-X
30 mins prior to post: BSN Syntha6

Fish oil/flaxseed oil pill every meal, and vitamin D in the morning.

Im open to suggestions,

Thanks!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Karolina Strzelecka
Member Karolina Strzelecka is offline
 
Karolina Strzelecka's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warsaw  Poland
Posts: 28
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

It's always good to take some BCAA before workout. Also you can add some L-Glutamine or Beta Alanine if you are working really hard.
__________________
Visit and leave a comment on my CrossFit, paleo and running blog:
www.runintocrossfit.blogspot.com :) Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

Not a huge fan of Syntha-6...it messed up my stomach every time I took it.

What are you looking for in a supplement? A lot of them have been discussed pretty extensively in the past.

Some popular ones around here beta-alanine, creatine monohydrate, citruline mallate (I don't know much about this one, though). I think quite a few people take ZMA for recovery as well.

As far as protein (and basically everything else, actually) goes a lot of people are fond with AtLarge Nutrition, the owner posts here often and will answer any questions you have which is a plus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Joseph Regan
Member Joseph Regan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cyrpess  TX
Posts: 151
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

What are your goals with your new supplements. Most people get caught up in the supplement circle and they dont have a clear cut direction which leads to most people wasting their money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Jeff Russell
Member Jeff Russell is offline
 
Jeff Russell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London  Ontario
Posts: 6
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
What are your goals with your new supplements. Most people get caught up in the supplement circle and they dont have a clear cut direction which leads to most people wasting their money.
Im 19 years old and a quarterback for my university team up here in Canada. I'm 6'4 and 200 pounds, so I'm looking to put on a little bit of weight but basically I'm looking to increase strength.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Jeff Russell
Member Jeff Russell is offline
 
Jeff Russell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London  Ontario
Posts: 6
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Brad Allen Jones
Banned Brad Allen Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muskegon  MI
Posts: 4,706
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

Make sure you're eating well and plenty.

The best thing you could take is a good, pure creatine mono. AtLarge nutrition has a good one for cheap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

BSN isn't a big name round these parts. At large nutrition or ON are the usual recommendations. BCAAs aren't needed if you are getting enough protein. D3 and fish oil are good. Other than that, creatine is about the only other coat effective product on the list. Beta alanine, seems popular too but I can't speak to its effectiveness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Richard Deyan
Member Richard Deyan is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Forest Hills  NY
Posts: 321
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Russell View Post
Hey guys. Recently i have been thinking about giving my supplement regiment an overhaul. Below is a list of what i currently use and i am looking for your opinions as to wether or not i should change it or add/subtract from it. I am also on the paleo, so that has to factor in as well.

Pre Workout: (nothing as of right now)
Intra/Post: BSN Amino-X
30 mins prior to post: BSN Syntha6

Fish oil/flaxseed oil pill every meal, and vitamin D in the morning.

Im open to suggestions,

Thanks!!

Syntha-6 is one of the "multi-blend" proteins that is loaded with nasty sugars and fats. The blend sucks. I'd drop it in favor of regular whey if you're going to have an intra-post workout shake.

Flax seed, depends what you're taking it for. Flax seed contains ALA which does not convert to EPA at a good rate by any means, so you're better off saving your money or spending it on something else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Jeff Russell
Member Jeff Russell is offline
 
Jeff Russell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London  Ontario
Posts: 6
Re: Crossfit Supplements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Make sure you're eating well and plenty.

The best thing you could take is a good, pure creatine mono. AtLarge nutrition has a good one for cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
BSN isn't a big name round these parts. At large nutrition or ON are the usual recommendations. BCAAs aren't needed if you are getting enough protein. D3 and fish oil are good. Other than that, creatine is about the only other coat effective product on the list. Beta alanine, seems popular too but I can't speak to its effectiveness.
What AtLarge products would you guys recommend?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supplements Miguel Vasquez Nutrition 30 12-30-2009 11:00 AM
Supplements Chris Sanders Nutrition 25 10-14-2009 11:39 AM
Pre workout supplements for Crossfit John Heaton Nutrition 8 07-13-2009 05:35 AM
Supplements Yes or No? LeRoy Malterre Nutrition 41 11-09-2006 04:18 PM
Supplements? What to take? Jared Probst Nutrition 33 03-16-2005 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.