CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Jim B Smith

Profile:
Which would you choose?

I'm curious if you were opening your box and buying equipment would you purchase kettlebells or dumb bells? I think eventually both would be ideal but I'm asking for your initial purchase which do you feel are more valuable? If you could expand upon your answer I would really appreciate it. I've only been exposed to KB's so I don't want to be close minded.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Which would you choose?

Not even close, KB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B Smith View Post
I'm curious if you were opening your box and buying equipment would you purchase kettlebells or dumb bells? I think eventually both would be ideal but I'm asking for your initial purchase which do you feel are more valuable? If you could expand upon your answer I would really appreciate it. I've only been exposed to KB's so I don't want to be close minded.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Trey Windham

Profile:

Im with Brian on this one. I have only KBs in my box right now because I can essentially do anything with a KB that I can with a DB, but there are things I can't do with DBs that I can with KBs or it's easier and more efficient to do with KBs.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Eric McKinley

Profile:

Go for the KBs
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

KBs....much better for swings, clean and press, snatches, goblet squats, etc. and still work fine for rows, farmers walks, manmakers/renegade rows, thrusters, push presses, etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Lan Halbert

Profile:

It's a coin toss in my opinion. Also depends on the type of programming you are going to use and financial situation you're in as KBs come at a slightly higher cost.

If you're more inclined to use main site programming I would go back and look at the past couple of months and count the number of WODs incorporated either apparatus. Even go back and look at the CF games and do the same.

You may also consider how much room you have to work with. DBs potentially don't take up as much space as KBs as one could stack the DBs on top of one another in a column. May not be the safest but something else to consider if space is a consideration.

This is just what I would do.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Buy kettle bells. If money is tight skip the 32 kg unless you already have big strong guys. You can buy it later as you members get stronger.

You will need:
2 8 kg
2 12 kg
4 16 kg
2 20 kg
4 24 kg

You need the little one for new ladies that have never done strength training. With this set you could run most 10 person classes that are a mix of men and women.

I'm a big fan of the 20s. The jump from 16 to 24 is too big for most people. We use the 20s for the ladies in WODs that call for 32s for the men.

I would also buy 1 set each of 10, 15, 20, 25 dumbbells. This keeps the cost down and can be helpful when dealing with people with very low strength levels or mobility issues.

My general advise is only buy enough equipment to open the doors in a professional manner but be ready to buy more quickly when you see who your actual clients are. In my case it ended up being women first so I had heavy/expensive stuff collecting dust because I was the only one who could use it and not enough lighter stuff my ladies needed.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Thank you all for the feed back I really appreciate it a lot!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Also consider that a lot of folks go to "globo" gyms still and legit KB's are a rarity. It won't set you apart from other CF's to have one, but it will set you apart from the majority. That plays in business.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

We've seen Affiliates successful with either, honestly. The two pieces are so closely related that unless you budget allows, we recommend against both. Better to put the extra dollars into something else.

Yes, the swing is more complicated with the dumbbell, but snatches, C&J, Presses, Push Jerk, Renegade Rows, etc... all can be accomplished with either.

It's all about Functional Fitness, isn't it? You can get your athletes incredibly fit with less than more. And as a trainer you will make due with what you have on hand. You will adjust programming to keep it varied. Start small and expand as your affiliate grows.

As far as sizes are concerned we recommend 15-25-35-45-55-70s in either the dumbbell or the KB. That gives your athletes more than enough range in weight and it keeps more money in your pocket or for other gear.

Hope that helps.