CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Jose Soriano
Member Jose Soriano is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 103
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Wow, that thing is awesome, but I'm confused about how to measure some things - am I supposed to go from end to end or all the way around?

I'm assuming it's all the way around for everything except shoulders?

If that's the case I'm at 28% which makes me sad. I find it strange it doesn't ask for my height, but that's probably me grasping at straws lol

Anyway, I used the calorie tracker yesterday and I'm apparently supposed to be at 1240 to reach my goal, and after tracking yesterday I was at a net of 1013 not counting the crossfit strength stuff (it only counted the rows for some reason) and that's including an allotment for random calories, so yay I guess.

Maybe my body's just given up on me...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Mekenzie Lewis
Member Mekenzie Lewis is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pekin  IL
Posts: 20
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
JFC people, live in the moment a little. Especially just in case you get killed in some random accident and as you are dying, you are thinking...**** me I'd like a donut and a coke.
HA! Love this... and wish I could say the same I have tried IF and Im sorry but I BLOW at NOT eating. I do 2 workouts/day...this girls body gets hungry! Im going to start a thread about LG and peoples fasting advice...because based on the results I wanna do it, I just dont know how to PHYSICALLY handle it.
And I didnt know you could eat total crap when eating in a fasted pattern and still see results.... Maybe I DO wanna get on this train!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Jose Soriano
Member Jose Soriano is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 103
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekenzie Lewis View Post
HA! Love this... and wish I could say the same I have tried IF and Im sorry but I BLOW at NOT eating. I do 2 workouts/day...this girls body gets hungry! Im going to start a thread about LG and peoples fasting advice...because based on the results I wanna do it, I just dont know how to PHYSICALLY handle it.
And I didnt know you could eat total crap when eating in a fasted pattern and still see results.... Maybe I DO wanna get on this train!
It's not too bad honestly. Like I said, coffee and creamer helps me get through the day, and although I'm more ok with not eating than most (apparently), I'm also fasting for the more extreme 20 hours than the normal 14-16.

The first week or so sucks tho, the occasional coke or pepsi helped. And yeah, you can eat crap. I'm not tho, because I'm trying to lose serious weight so for a couple of months I'm behaving myself, but even behaving myself means buttered lobster, steaks, and the occasional pasta. I just can't wolf down a box of donuts or eat a pizza every day.

And, technically, the fasting period just means you can't have more than 20% of your daily calories, depending on your plan (eatstopeat, leangains, etc.) so you could probably still have a small soup or fruit smoothie and be fine. And like I said I'm topping off at about 1000 calories a day, so I could probably eat a burrito and still stay in "weightloss" zone, so if your range is 2000 that's, like, a chicken sandwich or something. There's more to it than that, but overall, the whole thing isn't as bad as it sounds. I think the naming is poor.

I had also mentioned VPX Meltdown in my OP, which I decided to get, which apparently seems to have an appetite suppresant, so there's always that too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
Anyway, I used the calorie tracker yesterday and I'm apparently supposed to be at 1240 to reach my goal, and after tracking yesterday I was at a net of 1013 not counting the crossfit strength stuff (it only counted the rows for some reason) and that's including an allotment for random calories, so yay I guess.

Maybe my body's just given up on me...
1240? Did you set it up to lose 2 lbs per week? 1 lb should be the highest. When you enter the workouts, don't enter each individual exercise. If you do strength work, go under cardiovascular and look for the strength training and just enter the minutes you did. For the CrossFit Metcons, go under cardiovascular and look for circuit training and just enter the minutes you did.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Mekenzie Lewis
Member Mekenzie Lewis is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pekin  IL
Posts: 20
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
And, technically, the fasting period just means you can't have more than 20% of your daily calories, depending on your plan (eatstopeat, leangains, etc.) so you could probably still have a small soup or fruit smoothie and be fine.
I had also mentioned VPX Meltdown in my OP, which I decided to get, which apparently seems to have an appetite suppresant, so there's always that too.
Well thats good to know! I CAN eat, just not much...I can deal with that! I just posted a thread about LG and was saying how much I struggle to make it with nothing from the 6 am workout until 12 pm lunch. 9 am is a rough time, in that case! I usually cave and eat some nuts or something. Ill now snack without the guilt!
And as far as supplements go....anything thats fat burning usually has significant caffeine and I usually get (what feels like) heart palpitations. If the label reads similar to Hydroxycut and anything of that nature, I dont think I can handle it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
Jose Soriano
Member Jose Soriano is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 103
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Just 1? Done, but can I ask why?

That worries me more. That means I'm even farther below my calorie needs. IDK how I'm going to do that.

That drops me down to a net of 894 and a goal of 1740. Might that be why I'm not losing as much as I would like?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #17
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
Just 1? Done, but can I ask why?

That worries me more. That means I'm even farther below my calorie needs. IDK how I'm going to do that.

That drops me down to a net of 894 and a goal of 1740. Might that be why I'm not losing as much as I would like?
The reason for 1 lb a week is so that you don't lose too much muscle mass in the process. And a steady diet of 1240 a day will absolutely destroy you after a few weeks. 1700 calories got real hard for me after 12 weeks. In the first week, you should lose about 3-4 lbs because most of it will be water weight. After that, your body will get used to it and you will lose 1-1/2 lbs per week. Just make sure you eat at least 1 GR of protein per bodyweight or just keep it over 30% of your intake.

When you factor the workouts, you will actually be eating more than the recommended 1740 for you, which is good because you will need it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Jose Soriano
Member Jose Soriano is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 103
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

I've been doing it with crossfit for about 5 weeks now tho, and I feel fine. Before that I was doing a heavy cardio thing for about 2 months on the same diet. I'm drinking a whey protein shake after working out, hopefully that helps some. I think I may have to do 2, and have a second meal before bed or something.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Soriano View Post
I've been doing it with crossfit for about 5 weeks now tho, and I feel fine. Before that I was doing a heavy cardio thing for about 2 months on the same diet. I'm drinking a whey protein shake after working out, hopefully that helps some. I think I may have to do 2, and have a second meal before bed or something.
It is up to you. If you absolutely think you can do it, go for it, but I wouldn't recommend it. 1 lb is th emits I would recommend unless you weigh over 200 lbs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
John C Corona
Member John C Corona is offline
 
John C Corona's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Palm Bay  FL
Posts: 730
Re: Looking for some weightloss help

Jose, How many times a day do you eliminate? I dont think your getting enough fiber. Dont reduce the calories, just clean them up. Meat and potatoes with rice & chips and dip, hardly promotes getting lean. You need more veggies, and where's the fruit? Whey shakes provide no fiber, just sit like lumps in your belly. Stop looking at macros and look more towards nutrients. You need better calories, not more or less. IMO. Replace you whey shake with green smoothies...theres some fiber, you'll be eliminating more and cut fat.

Make that small salad with dinner, a large salad. Fill the entire plate with greens, not iceburg or romaine lettuce, but spinach. Then you can pile you meat and potatoes on top of that. If you are disciplined enough to use this fasting type of diet, then you can up the greens/veggies, instead of just try.
__________________
37/M/5'10"/170.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weightloss help Shaun C Clark Nutrition 4 06-26-2012 07:41 PM
Weightloss Ruth S. Walker Nutrition 8 03-14-2012 03:27 PM
Rapid weightloss? David Mildenhall Nutrition 9 04-01-2009 07:33 AM
Zone help/weightloss Juan Romero Jr Nutrition 13 03-01-2008 08:37 AM
Weightloss Randy Little Nutrition 1 12-04-2007 07:57 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.