CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: 2013 open and getting to regionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
It is time to stop asking and start doing. Pick something, as you've been given a great amount of advice already.

The problem I see with so many people that want to reach some goals or improve something is lack of effort and consistency. Let's just call it discipline. They distract themselves from the actual doing part by constantly searching or asking for validation. I know this because I've lived it in my art/design career. A blank canvas with the age old question of "how do I draw better?". You know what, you just start moving a pencil around, hour after hour and day after day. Eventually you get good at it. You may even be great at it. But instead, we/I stare at the blank paper, open up the browser and start searching for youtube videos, google and various art forums asking "what is the best anatomy book?" or "what sort of stuff should I draw to improve?" We do this day after day and guess what....there is still a blank paper there. I digress.....

People have been given info and instead of putting in the work for 8-12 weeks, as written, they start looking around for more information. They ask on here, they google stuff. It is almost as though they want validation for what they are doing. The validation is at the end but only if you see it through.

I seriously doubt anyone that does GSLP, 5/3/1 or SS, religiously, as prescribed will fail. They will improve. It is not for lack of information, it is for lack of doing something with that information.

The key to being a super bad ***, ridiculously strong, athletic person. Here it is...you can send me money via paypal if you wish.

1. Establish goals, specifically. Ex: Back Squat increase by 40lbs. Snatch increase by 25lbs. Lower body weight by 12lbs. Increase deadhang pull-ups from 7 to 12 reps. Do 2 Muscle-ups and 40+ straight Double Unders.

2. Find a program. If the goals are as above, then preferably one that has you doing Back Squats, Double Unders, MUs (or their progressions) and some Olympic lifts (see that snatch up there). It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. If you can't find one that has everything, give yourself 1 day (24hrs) to keep searching. After that, stop looking and narrow the goals down then. Just go with 1) Improve Back Squat by 40lbs and 2) Increase deadhang pull-ups. THATS IT. I guarantee you will find a program to help you with that.

3. Do that program. Stop asking, stop searching. Do it as written, for as long as written or at least until you reach your goals or, most importantly - long enough to know (not think) that it isn't working. You won't find that out in a week necessarily. Stick it out for a bit. Give it a few months.

4. Rinse, repeat either adjusting the program, establishing new goals when current ones are in sight or simply dumping the program all together if it didn't work. Only then find something else and try that one.

I bring this all up why? Because of this

Looks like you started asking around early May. That's 4 full months. Where are you at and what 3-4 month program did you just finish? I guarantee if you had picked one, done it to the letter, then you wouldn't be asking any more questions. The answers to those questions would been provided by the bar, by the chalk and in the workout journals.
Excellent post, should be stickied.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
It is time to stop asking and start doing. Pick something, as you've been given a great amount of advice already.

The problem I see with so many people that want to reach some goals or improve something is lack of effort and consistency. Let's just call it discipline. They distract themselves from the actual doing part by constantly searching or asking for validation. I know this because I've lived it in my art/design career. A blank canvas with the age old question of "how do I draw better?". You know what, you just start moving a pencil around, hour after hour and day after day. Eventually you get good at it. You may even be great at it. But instead, we/I stare at the blank paper, open up the browser and start searching for youtube videos, google and various art forums asking "what is the best anatomy book?" or "what sort of stuff should I draw to improve?" We do this day after day and guess what....there is still a blank paper there. I digress.....

People have been given info and instead of putting in the work for 8-12 weeks, as written, they start looking around for more information. They ask on here, they google stuff. It is almost as though they want validation for what they are doing. The validation is at the end but only if you see it through.

I seriously doubt anyone that does GSLP, 5/3/1 or SS, religiously, as prescribed will fail. They will improve. It is not for lack of information, it is for lack of doing something with that information.

The key to being a super bad ***, ridiculously strong, athletic person. Here it is...you can send me money via paypal if you wish.

1. Establish goals, specifically. Ex: Back Squat increase by 40lbs. Snatch increase by 25lbs. Lower body weight by 12lbs. Increase deadhang pull-ups from 7 to 12 reps. Do 2 Muscle-ups and 40+ straight Double Unders.

2. Find a program. If the goals are as above, then preferably one that has you doing Back Squats, Double Unders, MUs (or their progressions) and some Olympic lifts (see that snatch up there). It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. If you can't find one that has everything, give yourself 1 day (24hrs) to keep searching. After that, stop looking and narrow the goals down then. Just go with 1) Improve Back Squat by 40lbs and 2) Increase deadhang pull-ups. THATS IT. I guarantee you will find a program to help you with that.

3. Do that program. Stop asking, stop searching. Do it as written, for as long as written or at least until you reach your goals or, most importantly - long enough to know (not think) that it isn't working. You won't find that out in a week necessarily. Stick it out for a bit. Give it a few months.

4. Rinse, repeat either adjusting the program, establishing new goals when current ones are in sight or simply dumping the program all together if it didn't work. Only then find something else and try that one.

I bring this all up why? Because of this

Looks like you started asking around early May. That's 4 full months. Where are you at and what 3-4 month program did you just finish? I guarantee if you had picked one, done it to the letter, then you wouldn't be asking any more questions. The answers to those questions would been provided by the bar, by the chalk and in the workout journals.
So true, wish I'd read this earlier before I screwed around for months, working out but making minimal progress towards my goals. I got on GSLP the beginning of June and am making great progress.

The link you posted doesn't work for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
Luke Davidson

Profile:

I am new to Crossfit (started on Aug 1) and am currently working out of my garage... When I started, I googled Crossfit and watched a ton of youtube videos of the games and regionals to get an idea of the movements, how much weight I need to be competitive etc.

In the last month I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 - why? Because I was familiar with the program and knew it will build strength in several of the key areas that Crossfit requires strength - squats, rows, deadlifts and overhead presses.

I also know that I need to have endurance so I'll throw in some max rep press with 95 lbs, max rep squats with 135, some AMRAPs with various lifts etc. I've also been working on my oly lifting form, overhead squats, snatches, squat cleans etc on non-heavy or off days.

I'll youtube some of the Crossfit studs, note their workouts and times and shoot to keep pace (scaled, but going up 5 lbs each attempt)

In one month I have went from:

Squatting 225 for one set of two to 265 for 5 sets of 5.
Power clean up from 195 to 235
Fran Time down from 6:00 to 3:40
Grace down from 7:00 to 3:48

I don't know much about Crossfit yet, but I do know how to get under the bar, try lift more than I did in the last workout, or try beat a time from my previous workout...that's about all I think there is to it to get started...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
The link you posted doesn't work for me.
sorry, I think I did it incorrectly. It is just a search on the OPs name to find threads started by her because someone (I believe in this thread) mentioned that she (the op) had been asking around before and was already given suggestions/advice. I just wanted to do detective work and see if in fact, she was still in the "searching for information" mode. That is all the link is.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Krystal Palas

Profile:

Thanks guys. I have been following Wendler to the 'T' and it has helped quite a bit. The first attempt at a 1rm deadlift I did was back in April and it was only 125. Now I am about 225!
I have seen great results, I just wanted to know what people thought was the best approach. I guess I am just not being patient enough...
Keep on swimming.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
You say you are coaching gymnastics, but haven't tried MU?
Women's competitive gymnastics rarely focuses on strict ring MU or weighted dips. Occasionally I have seen the use of weighted pullups but even this is pretty rare. Occasionally Ring MU are done mainly for fun to test the girls or if you have a male coach trying to get the girls to do something on rings. Sometimes the girls will do strict bar MU but these are commonly performed one hand/arm at a time in "struggle-up" fashion.

It sounds like you are progressing well with 531. I was going to chime in that typically it's a program that progresses slowly (it did for me but I using it as an accessory strength program) but it sounds like you are still progressing well as a beginner on it.

Regional meets haven't had the swim/bike/run tests yet. Generally you will need to develop your Olympic lifts, the rudimentary gymnastics stuff like MU and HSPU (or Headstand Pushups) and pistols, DU, Wallballs, etc.

The things that seem to make or break competitors has been the Olympic Lifts or gymnastics prowess and for the Games competitors, the lack of run/bike/swim training.

btw, treat the Bar MU as a bent arm kip from a tap swing. Tap, toes to bar, pull with bent arms and kip to the top.

For the Rings MU, you need to work the false grip. I'd recommend lots of MU negatives, false grip pullups besides rings dips. When you get strong enough, working a falsegripless kipping Muscle-Up might work. It should be pretty easy to master the swing on Rings. I am not sure that uprise technique would work well with someone without basic ring strength and ring swing (it's pretty super basic ring swing).

WFS

http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/05/paoli-muscle-up.tpl

http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/06/...scle-up-02.tpl

Following Outlaw is a novel idea but something you need to look into and try out for yourself. Doing 531 while adding in gymnastics strength movements as assistance exercises or conditioning with shorter WOD's is probably fine. No idea what your Snatch and Clean/Jerk are like, but you could do some of that pre 531 lift. By that time, you're basically doing something close to Outlaw.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Baker View Post
Thank you for spreading wise knowledge,
Richard.
Yea no worries. I think one of the best things that I bring to the table for my own training as well as the training of the my clients is what I offer that has nothing to do with training.

I am old enough to have loved, lost, failed, tried, been turned down, not put in enough work, stood there and watch someone else get the job, get the double digit rejection letters in my emails, tear muscles, bulge discs, break PRs, gain weight, lose weight, be strong, be ineffective, and all that goodness. I've had to relate it to my wife, my kids, my friends, family, clients - everything.

I honestly believe it is ALL the same $hit. Whether the process is to go from a couch to beating Rich Froning or to make a million dollars doing what you love, its all the same. There are no more secrets to success. Only the constant search for another secret with detracts from the doing. Period.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal Palas View Post
Thanks guys. I have been following Wendler to the 'T' and it has helped quite a bit. The first attempt at a 1rm deadlift I did was back in April and it was only 125. Now I am about 225!
I have seen great results, I just wanted to know what people thought was the best approach. I guess I am just not being patient enough...
Keep on swimming.
yep you nailed it. you are not being patient enough. increasing your deadlift by 100lbs, which in your case is 80%, is something to be excited about, not something to be frustrated about. you are making progress. keep making progress. be happy about making progress. if you really want to compete in CF, just keep practicing skills while getting stronger and doing more work faster.