CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Jason Hogue

Profile:
lower back issue in heavy deadlifts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syib6...&feature=g-upl
WFS

I have been crossfitting for a few years but seem to have not fixed a weakness in my lower back. My coach is not sure what to do to fix this issue. My upper back stays strong and extended all the way through the lift, but my lower back has increasing arch as weight and reps increase. I stay tight in OLY and power lifting because of the lower weights, but the issue seems to resent itself as I get heavy and increase the reps. The effort posted is 3 reps at 315#. I have pulled 5 reps at 335, but this issue is always there. My 1RM is 375, but I wasn't being coachd at the time I pulled it. I do not ever have any alarming pain, but this problem bothers my coach and I want to fix it to avoid getting hurt or stunting progress. Any advice or help would be great. I have wondered if wearing a belt, doing RDLs or good mornings, or anything else might help. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: lower back issue in heavy deadlifts

First, you are going to give Eric S a heart attack--don't drop the bar, demonstrate control see:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76624 (WFS)

I think you are shooting your hips too fast and need to press your feet into the ground more then let the hips drive up. In the squat I think hips first then knees, in the deadlift I think the knees should move more first then the hips follow soon after.

Also, I feel you are too far over the bar at the start. Get as much of you upper body/shoulders behind the bar so you have all that weight to help counterbalance the weight on the bar.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Jason Hogue

Profile:

I noticed that I would be receiving criticism on dropping the bar on the last rep and that is fine. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Set your ego aside (we all have it) and do your deads at a weight that allows you to do them right. Don't move up until you can routinely and effortlessly maintain proper form, and, when you do move up in weight, don't do it by much. If you move up and can't keep good form, reduce the amount by which you have moved up, or even go back down to where you were before.

Technique-wise, I agree with everything Robert said.

- Mark
Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I would say that since your lower back is moving well out of position even before the slack is taken out of the bar that this is more mental than anything. You are initiating the lift by rounding off the low back, even before you've fully loaded up. That's the first thing that moves. It should be the last bodypart to show movement. You've got the wrong movement pattern going on here.

You need to lower the weight until you find a level that you can initiate the correct movement. Repeat that until it's ingrained. I would probably not let you go over 300, or even less, for a while.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Well I guess my work here has been done for me...lol

But in all seriousness I agree with all those who said you need to drop the weight all the way down until there is no low back rounding. Step 2, call that your new max and go from there....
Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

Your lower back is weak, abs are probably weak and you don't know how to stay tight. During the entire lift you were worming around, it wasn't just your lower back rounding, you just weren't tight.

You need to learn to get a flat back position, tighten up your abs and fill your stomach with air pushing out against your abs, back, entire core area until you feel like your face is going to explode. That's getting tight. A belt will help you feel this as your abs can push out against it.

Back extensions, 45 degree back extensions, good mornings, RDL's, deficit DL's, band pull throughs will all help strengthen your back. Also add in a lot more ab work.

What does your strength programming look like? If you guys do a standard LP where you DL once a week, then I'd suggest picking one of the exercises above instead of DL's and working up to a heavy 5 reps, then add 5-10lbs a week for 3 weeks only going as heavy as you can keeping that flat back position. After 3 weeks, switch to another one. Once you fix your lower back weakness issue, your DL will skyrocket. No, you don't have to do DL's to increase your DL. The band pull throughs can be done a couple times a week as a finisher. Just do 2-3 sets of 20-30, slowly adding sets and reps and increasing band tension.

Last edited by Tim Nakashima : 07-17-2012 at 09:49 PM.