CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-24-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I've been on the NHE plan since November 30. From Nov 30 to Dec 13, my bodyfat went from 9.7% to 8.7%. I followed the rules well. I had the 30-60 gram carb limit, usually closer to 30, I did not count calories, I went on how I felt and ate tons of healthy foods like olive oil, walnuts, meat, lettuce, and an apple. When I carbed up, I had no more than 300 grams of fruit and oatmeal. I trained crossfit accuratley, and trampoline later in the day.

Here is where Im at now: 164, 12.1% BF, LBM dropped 2 pounds(from 143 to 141! CRAP

Im guessing it mainly has to do with the way my body is. I remember the days where I ate tons and tons of carbs, mainly refined cereal and candy of every sort, and a some meat, mostly jerkey. I never counted calories then either. Theres more variables, though. This is when I was real young and skateboarded or rode bicycle all day every day. I never lifted weights, and barely ate healthy foods. Considering the way I trained and ate, I had a surprisingly decent build, and this is when I was the leanest. My body type is Mesomorph.

The reason I mentioned this is because maybe MY body in particular has always liked to naturally burn sugar and store fat, considering that I gained 6 pounds of fat and lost 2 pounds of muscle in 11 days; eating lots of good fats and training hard. It seems like I go "Against" nature. Going against nature runs in my family some. For example, my dad can not float no matter what. Under the instruction of a certified swimming coach, no matter what he did, he absolutely could not float. Some people are like that, but it's rare.

Any thoughts on this bummer of a body comp change?

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-24-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
First-

How did you test these before and after values? If it is not hydrostatic weighing or an EXTENSIVE skin caliper session (> 50 measurments and lots of number crunching) then you are looking at a margin of error greater than 10%. Your changes are far less than 10% and thus subject to being "noise" rather than actual data.

So, what method did you use?
Robb
Old 12-24-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
Roy

Profile:

I have always used the Skinfold caliper method, sum of all 4 locations which increased. from 23 to 29. (maybe it was 21 to 29) The locations were the back by the shoulder blade, back of arm, front of arm, and superiliac site (approx. 5" to the right of the belly button. I look quite a bit "blurrier(chubbier)" from the mirrors prosepective. I dont know what the hell happened here, but my main concern is the possible muscle that I lost.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:39 PM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Wow dude... never would've guessed this would happen... You can kick my *** at any time :-) Gotta do what works for you bro... Sorry...

-Jay
Old 12-25-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
Roy

Profile:

Whoa. Dont blame yourself. I ate WAAAAAAAY too much. In fact, the longest I went without eating was 45 minutes! I'm not worried. I'll lose it. Im just gonna eat meat, eggs, lettuce, and sip oil, and get 9 hours of sleep. I can lose fat as easy as I gain it. It just takes a little more dicipline.

Have a Merry Christmas........to all

Cheers

Roy
Old 12-25-2003, 09:03 AM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

45 mins? LMAO. No wonder bro. Your insulin levels must've been sky high. Faigin says you should allow AT LEAST 2 hours between meals to avoid an insulin surge. Keep us posted.

-Jay