CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Kent Lamm

Profile:
I've been doing xfit for about 3 months or so now and I decided to try my first heavy clean and jerks yesterday. If someone could critique my C&J and tell me what I need to work on, it would be much appreciated! Video has a front view, and 2 side views in normal speed and then slo-mo.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8E4952C0792E05A4 &rcpt =kent.ogp@gmail.com
Old 08-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Brian Sullivan

Profile:
I'm sure others will chime in but here are some comments to get you started. "Big chest" during the clean - shoulders back, chest out. Pretty good getting the bar up to the knees, then small early arm bend - Your arms should be straight until you have reached triple extension. (easier said than done though). You should receive the bar in the rack position on your shoulders with your elbows up HIGH (basically pointing forwards). This is important because if you squat clean a heavy weight and your elbows are down, your elbows might hit your knees on the way down and if this happens you could seriously injure your wrists. And, with a heavy weight, it will be much harder to stand up if the weight is not on your shoulders. I think your hips are a little forward when you catch your clean. The Jerk: Don't come up onto your toes on the "down" part of the jerk You should split you legs more in the jerk. In particular, you back leg needs to move back more.

Nice lifting overall, and very nice video with the slo-mo, front and side views. Keep using video and compare yourself to the videos available on the crossfit site and elsewhere, particularly coach Burgeners. There is lots of good info in the digital coaching archives. I think you should work on your front squat technique, and squat clean technique.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Yes, the most important improvement would be to work on the front squat - specifically the rack position, getting those elbows up high.
http://crossfitsedona.typepad.com/sedona_wod/images/frontsquatrackpositionoverhe adadrienne.jpg
Old 08-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Kent Lamm

Profile:
Thanks a ton Brian and Lincoln! I'll go back to PVC and work on those points as part of my warm up/cool down.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The front squat is a bit easier to develop when using something a bit heavier than the PVC. The extra weigh helps get it onto the shoulders properly.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Kent Lamm

Profile:
Yep, did some ME front squats today. At first the racked position was uncomfortable, but by the end of the workout I had it feeling OK:happy:
Old 08-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Kent,

I tried the front squat too yesterday with only 95 pounds and it was godawful. I gave up and went to the back squat. What did you do to make it feel better ?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Kent Lamm

Profile:
I just made my elbows point high and had only 2 or 3 fingers on each side of the bar. I took my time setting up to the racked position and found a spot on my shoulders that felt good and then went with it. Hopefully that helps, just experiment with it a little and you should get it.