CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
JDS vs. Cain

It's on tv for free tonight in case anyone didn't know. Check your local fox affiliate.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Re: JDS vs. Cain

Good thing it was free!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Spencer James

Profile:

It started, I went outside to check on the BBQ coals, then my buddies came out to the porch and told me it was over. Good thing a 64 second fight can be replayed pretty easily.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
William Hoke

Profile:

Dana said before the match that he was putting his best foot forward, i don't think a fight like that will make the average person want to buy a $55 dollar PPV event. Should have put some lightweights that go 5 rounds.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Yep. They should have aired the Guida-Henderson fight, too
Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Andrew Burry

Profile:

Lightweights are boring they hit with their purse. Everyone loves the knockout. Mike Tyson was a star, Wladimir & Vitali who? Fights that go the distance killed boxing. Everyone loves Anderson Silva because he destroyed the likes of Forrest Griffin, Vitor Belfort, Rich Franklin and James Irvin.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burry View Post
Lightweights are boring they hit with their purse. Everyone loves the knockout. Mike Tyson was a star, Wladimir & Vitali who? Fights that go the distance killed boxing. Everyone loves Anderson Silva because he destroyed the likes of Forrest Griffin, Vitor Belfort, Rich Franklin and James Irvin.
mmkay.
You named one heavyweight - Tyson - as a good example of boxing heavyweights with knockout power, and then you rattled off a list of Middleweight and LHW MMA fighters. Not sure what your point is, unless you just want to bash the little guys. I agree with the sentiment about lightweights, in boxing, may not give the fans the knock-outs they want to see, but that is because they weigh 135#. Lightweights in MMA, however are 155#, and they routinely pummel the crap out of each other.

Have you watched many of Guida's fights? Win or Lose that guy comes with 100% and can both take and deliver punches.

The rest of the UFC lightweights are nothing to sneeze at either. Did you watch either of the title fights of Edgar v. Maynard? Those fights were absolute wars - and one of them ended in a TKO.

When BJ Penn was LW Champ and he fought Sherk, that was another nasty fight, that ended in TKO when Penn gave Sherk a flying knee to the melon. Sherk couldn't come out for the fourth - another TKO.

Regardless, the fight shown was a pretty big let down for people that otherwise might not watch MMA. Had they had at least 1 good fight prior to that (and the Co-Main Event was exactly that), then the UFC might not have the perceived egg on its face that it had after 64 seconds in the HW title fight.

YMMV

and let's not forget that this fight went up against the Pacquiao PPV fight, which went the distance - i.e., no knockout.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I'd rather watch lightweights fly around for three rounds than lumbering heavies that completely run out of steam after 2 minutes. I'm in the minority that sleeps on HW fights.