CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Rebecca Brown

Profile:
When to rest

I've been crossfitting for about a year and i'm doing my 4th competition, but first as rx'd division in sept. i've got a weird schedule so i've been doing 5 on 2 off, but lately that's transitioned in to 6 on 1 off. i get broke down each week but feel good after a day of rest. any advice on signs to look for to take it easy? what have other people found out about when to rest and when to push through it?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: When to rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Brown View Post
I've been crossfitting for about a year and i'm doing my 4th competition, but first as rx'd division in sept. i've got a weird schedule so i've been doing 5 on 2 off, but lately that's transitioned in to 6 on 1 off. i get broke down each week but feel good after a day of rest. any advice on signs to look for to take it easy? what have other people found out about when to rest and when to push through it?
That part in bold is a good sign you need to rest more. Don't fall prey to the mindset that training is supposed to constantly beat you into the ground or you'll be looking at an injury or overtraining sooner rather than later. Just because you collapse into a pile of sweat and puke after a workout doesn't mean it was a good or effective one. The converse of that is also true--just because a workout doesn't leave you sore the next day doesn't mean it wasn't a good one.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

What he said.

And I'm curious, who writes your programming with a 6 on 1 off schedule? Is at least on of those days a light, or low intensity day?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Nicholas Maresca

Profile:

I can go five on 2 off and see the diffrences in cardio.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
Rebecca Brown

Profile:
Cool Re: When to rest

I don't think anyone but my husband realizes I do 6 on. At least once a week I do things outside the gym because of schedule conflicts. I'm trying to do more running intervals from crossfit endurance, and there's a place that has a sunday morning wod i've been checking out. I was thinking about sticking with 5 on 2 off but one of those days i'll probably do an running interval workout and a wod at the gym. And yes, usually there is at least 1 lower intensity or skill work day in there. but thanks about the broke down advice. i think i do assume that i'm supposed to be dying by the end of every week. i forget about needing rest WEEKS and not just days. it so addicting though and i just want to get better faster and faster!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I don't think anyone but my husband realizes I do 6 on. At least once a week I do things outside the gym because of schedule conflicts. I'm trying to do more running intervals from crossfit endurance, and there's a place that has a sunday morning wod i've been checking out. I was thinking about sticking with 5 on 2 off but one of those days i'll probably do an running interval workout and a wod at the gym. And yes, usually there is at least 1 lower intensity or skill work day in there. but thanks about the broke down advice. i think i do assume that i'm supposed to be dying by the end of every week. i forget about needing rest WEEKS and not just days. it so addicting though and i just want to get better faster and faster!
I would highly recommend losing that mentality if you want to keep getting stronger and faster in the long run and not just a 3-6 month window.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
i just want to get better faster and faster!
Then lean to rest. The broken down feeling means you are just grinding through low quality WODs. Better rest will allow you to do better work which will help accomplish your goal.

I have clients who work 5 on 2 off because they like their weekends free. They are not competitors just regular folks losing some pounds and getting in shape. I can see the decline in intensity in their workouts on Thursday and Friday if it has been a tough week. They are fine with this and it matches their goals (mainly weight lose).

If they wanted to maximize performance gains they would need to switch to 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off type schedual.

If your young and can handle the volume you can do the same number of workouts a week and improve your rest with a couple of 2 a days. Track interval work in the AM then a heavy met-con in the PM the day before your rest day.

Just remember high quality rest days are important to your goals.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
i think i do assume that i'm supposed to be dying by the end of every week. i forget about needing rest WEEKS and not just days. it so addicting though and i just want to get better faster and faster!
When you realize that it is not about what you can put yourself through, but what you can get out of your training, your progress will improve.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Then lean to rest.
Leaning can be useful as a rest technique, but laying down in a full prone position works even better.

- Mark
Old 08-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

everyone is different, just learn your body and listen to it.