CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Hey guys -- I just posted a new article up on my website, ModernAthena.com. This time it's an interview with UFC fighter Stephan Bonnar!

http://modernathena.com/from-the-mou...ional-fighter/ (wfs)

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 07-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: Interview with Stephan Bonnar on ModernAthena.com

Quote:
What single piece of advice would you give women when it comes to men?

Iíd say to women: Go with the guy who likes you and treats you well! I swear, when youíre into a girl and let her know it, itís a turn off. Women seem to want what they canít have. Once youíre over her and moving on, suddenly sheís crazy about you. Screw the chase; screw mind games. Do you really want to always be longing for something that eludes you? Thatís no fun. Give the nice guy whoís crazy about you a chance and let him treat you like a princess. Thatís my advice.
Not bad, Stephan; he has almost figured out the female mind.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

I remember some steroid or something test back in like 2006 or something that Bonnar had trouble with?

Justin
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Yep, it was 2006 after his rematch with Forrest. He tested positive for Boldenone -- he was trying to heal a nasty elbow injury, which he later ended up having multiple surgeries for.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Yep, it was 2006 after his rematch with Forrest. He tested positive for Boldenone -- he was trying to heal a nasty elbow injury, which he later ended up having multiple surgeries for.
Don't you love all this bull with certain substances? Usually the ones that actually work. Honest to God, I used to think we lived in a free society. Then I grew up. We won't even give them to injured soldiers to help them heal.

And since it's been brought up, are we really to think that monsters like Lesnar aren't, oh I don't know, "healing" from anything with doses of testosterone and its derivatives? And Carwin's still fighting, isn't he?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Hm, OK thanks. I knew it was something like that, just couldn't remember.

Justin
Old 07-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Yeah, I think it's difficult when someone is taking them for genuine reasons - like healing from surgery/injury, low testosterone levels, etc. Had the time between Stephan's previous fight and the fight with Forrest been a little longer apart, he never would have tested positive for it, and if any of the commissions had their acts together in regards to TRT then Sonnen wouldn't have gone through the hoops they've made him jump through for an entire year. It's a crazy thing and it's very hard to draw black and white lines about it.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
And since it's been brought up, are we really to think that monsters like Lesnar aren't, oh I don't know, "healing" from anything with doses of testosterone and its derivatives? And Carwin's still fighting, isn't he?
I still don't quite understand why Sherk, Sonnen and Carwin are all still in the UFC and Marquardt was sent packing. His timing couldn't have been worse, but either be serious about banned substances or don't bother with the slap on the wrist suspensions and only rant and rave when your main event horked BEFORE the fact.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
I still don't quite understand why Sherk, Sonnen and Carwin are all still in the UFC and Marquardt was sent packing. His timing couldn't have been worse, but either be serious about banned substances or don't bother with the slap on the wrist suspensions and only rant and rave when your main event horked BEFORE the fact.
Well all those cases are totally different:

Sherk tested for Nandrolone and fought the test saying the labs were tainted. CSAC upheld their test results, but still reduced his suspension to 6mo rather than 12mo. That's a little confusing -- why did they reduce it if they were 100% in the right? He served his time and has never tested positive again since.

Sonnen did not test outside the normal testosterone levels -- his ratio of synthetic to natural testosterone was out of whack, but he said he filled out all the paperwork and jumped through all the hoops he was asked to. CSAC said he didn't. Was Sonnen's "doctor" a sketchy dude? Sure. Does Sonnen have a way of double-speaking that makes him suspicious even when he's being totally truthful? Yes. But, knowing Chael personally and having been to CSAC meetings as a promoter, where we were told not to ask questions about certain topics because, in their own words, their own board members did NOT know their own rules or even what was on the banned substance list, I believe Sonnen.

Carwin has never tested positive for anything and the allegations about his steroid use are from before he was in the UFC. There's nothing to be enforced or for him to be punished in regards to.

Marquardt has tested positive for anabolic steroids in the past, and in this case he KNEW that his t-levels were off the chart weeks prior to the event, promised he could get down within legal levels, and couldn't deliver. This wasn't the first time this happened -- he applied for a TRT exemption in another state for a previous fight, didn't get approved and had to stop taking testosterone weeks out from the event to get his levels down to the appropriate range. Add to that the PSAC's claim that Marquardt never even applied for a TRT exemption with them and it paints Marquardt as a chronic abuser of the system.

Bottom line is, TRT is a bizarre loop hole, with some guys genuinely qualifying for it and other guys possibly falsely qualifying for it. Every commission needs to come up with a plan on how to handle it and unify it across the commissions or lots more cases like Sonnen and Marquardt are going to show up. LOTS of guys are on TRT, some with permission, some without. LOTS of guy are on steroids, some get caught, some don't. It's part of the whole game.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Good points. I'm not as informed as I should be. I thought Carwin tested positive and was suspended for a year, but apparently not.

It's frustrating as a fan, b/c the rules are not evenly applied (between different sports, states, countries & promotions) and the fallout occurs after the event has taken place. Muddies the achievements (and the event as a whole) after they have occurred.

I don't know much about drug testing in most sports, but I do know that the ATP and WTA orgs (men's and women's professional tennis) seem to have a good (albiet cumbersome) plan. They test the hell out of the athletes ALL THE TIME and it doesn't matter where you live nor where you compete. The top players make millions in prize money in a physically grueling sport. Incentive for steroid use, but I haven't heard of anyone in years getting busted.

If sports orgs are serious about preventing steriod use, they need to come up with something better than their current half-baked plans and punishments. If they aren't serious, then stop testing entirely.

</rant>