CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Re: A much better scoring system for the Games.

At first glance I think the OP's system sounds reasonable, but after some more thought I think there are some significant issues with it.

1. Different types of workouts will have drastically different margins of victory making certain styles of workouts way more impact than other. Say something like a 100m sprint was a workout, fastest dude in the universe gets a little under 10 seconds, Some dude sitting on a sofa for the last 5 years gets about 14 seconds, sofa guy still gets a 0.6. Next up is Amanda, top person gets 3:40, another really great athlete gets 8:00, their score is -0.18. That doesn't seem right to me. Certain works are just naturally going to have smaller margins than others and this doesn't take that into account.

2. It sucks for fans when you can't tell how anyone did until a computer comes back and spits out the results. This doesn't speak to the fairness of it at all, but this is supposed to be a spectator sports and that means taking the excitement of watching the event into account.

3. It doesn't reward/punish winners and losers the way the placing system does. What I mean by this is that when two competitors are going at it and one barely edges out the other, say by just 1 second, in the proposed scoring system they basically get the exact same score. In the placing system, someone won and someone lost - I think that's a good thing, maybe it's just 1 second but that is a big one second because it's the difference between winning and losing and at the end of the day that is what it's all about.

I think there are definitely improvements that need to be made to the current scoring system, but overall it's a decent system. The elimination issue really does need to be addressed though.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #22
Hector Santiago

Profile:

The whole scoring system is kinda crazy, if there were no cuts of people there will be different people going into the games and as long as you put one pure strength event this will knock out little guys out of a picture, I think pure strenght events should be based in a body weight formula, it is a no brainer that a bigger person will always lift more weight, put this 180 + guys against some one that weight 145 pounds that beat them in metcons and you will have the little guy at the bottom just for one event of pure strength. Those were my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #23
Zane Long

Profile:

I really liked the way they did the games in 2008. The lowest total time of all the athletes workouts combined was the winner.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

I think the current system would be fine if they didn't cut the number of competitors.

If they want to showcase the top athletes in some kind of grand finale, let the remaining athletes do the WODs at a different time or place. The statistics of those other bodies are needed in order to weight every workout the same.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #25
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Santiago View Post
The whole scoring system is kinda crazy, if there were no cuts of people there will be different people going into the games and as long as you put one pure strength event this will knock out little guys out of a picture, I think pure strenght events should be based in a body weight formula, it is a no brainer that a bigger person will always lift more weight, put this 180 + guys against some one that weight 145 pounds that beat them in metcons and you will have the little guy at the bottom just for one event of pure strength. Those were my 2 cents.
If you introduce a bodyweight formula for ANY event, you MUST do it for every event!! Yeah the bigger guys will have an advantage on the heavy stuff, but little guys have advantages on the bodyweight stuff. I bet you're a littler guy and that's why you feel this way and that's ok...but you can't weight one event via a bodyweight forumla unless you do all of them!

And I agree with the last post above me....I really do think the scoring is fine the way it is IF they keep all competitors in for ALL WOD's!!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #26
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Here is a rankings list based on the suggested scoring method in the original post...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...NhY1E&hl=en_US (w/f/s)
Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #27
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gray View Post
universe gets a little under 10 seconds, Some dude sitting on a sofa for the last 5 years gets about 14 seconds, sofa guy still gets a 0.6.
Hey, Dude, I have not been sitting on the sofa for 5 years, and I'm running as fast as I can.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #28
Hector Santiago

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
If you introduce a bodyweight formula for ANY event, you MUST do it for every event!! Yeah the bigger guys will have an advantage on the heavy stuff, but little guys have advantages on the bodyweight stuff. I bet you're a littler guy and that's why you feel this way and that's ok...but you can't weight one event via a bodyweight forumla unless you do all of them!

And I agree with the last post above me....I really do think the scoring is fine the way it is IF they keep all competitors in for ALL WOD's!!
Why not do the bodyweight formula for every event, that will be fair for everyone specially in a competition that you are looking for the fittest all around. There hasn't being yet in games an event that favors little guys, I am sure you can count in both hands events that favors big guys, i see it impossible to win the games chris spealler if there is a pure strength event, and everyone knows that he is super super strong but how can you say you are fitter than a guy that weight 50 pounds less than you and he is keeping up in all the WODs? example will be a workout like Amanda he is snatching his body weight, everyone else is not, muscle ups he is lighter sure but everyone is lifting their body weight too.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Santiago View Post
There hasn't being yet in games an event that favors little guys, I am sure you can count in both hands events that favors big guys
Just to note: I am a huge fan of Spealler...

However, I would have to disagree with you. The CF games favor the average sized crossfitter.

The big guys are at a disadvantage for: range of motion (tall guys have alot farther to go), the bodyweight movements are a pain, and smaller guys do much better on run events.

The small guys are at a disadvantage for: mostly just heavy barbell WODs
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
Tony Meconiates

Profile:

Brendan, what do you shoot? I shoot Limited, B class.