CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Blauer Tactical Use

Has anyone who has been to a Blauer seminar ever had the chance to use his techniques in a real life scenario?

Just curious.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Re: Blauer Tactical Use

I've used the move where you put your hands up with open palms and spread out fingers as if you're trying to calm someone down and be submissive but at the same time getting into a fighting stance and getting your open, calming hands into fighting position. That's it though.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Has anyone who has been to a Blauer seminar ever had the chance to use his techniques in a real life scenario?

Just curious.
Nope, and hope I never have to use it.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
I've used the move where you put your hands up with open palms and spread out fingers as if you're trying to calm someone down and be submissive but at the same time getting into a fighting stance and getting your open, calming hands into fighting position. That's it though.
As have I, but I thought that was just general self defence work... I picked it up when I was coming into security work. It helps to have these things when most guys that you have to deal with outweigh you by at least 50lbs.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Pearse, how much do you weigh? Do you mean the troublemakers are 50#+ or your security colleagues?

I'd really like to learn how to do flash knockouts if anyone has any tips (Blauer posted a video where he accidentally knocked somebody out demonstrating this but I cant find it)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
I'd really like to learn how to do flash knockouts if anyone has any tips (Blauer posted a video where he accidentally knocked somebody out demonstrating this but I cant find it)
I'm pretty sure that was a staged video as it ended with Blauer rolling Torres into the water to hide the body.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Pearse, how much do you weigh? Do you mean the troublemakers are 50#+ or your security colleagues?

I'm a pretty small guy, the smallest on my security team. I only weigh 155lbs/70kg, and most guys I deal with are around 200#. Most of the guys I work with are also around that mark though.

I don't know anything about flash knockouts, but I do know a fair bit about chokes, strangles, joint locks and what hurts when you hit it
Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Victor Cole Andrews

Profile:

Matthew,
The arm post does work. I've used it on missions and in a couple every day mishaps. You just have to ensure that you know how to move your weight around for it to be effective though.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
David Wallach

Profile:

Mathew,

Yes, I have and I have... in fairness and full disclosure I have the very good fortune to work almost daily with Jason Dury, who has worked with Tony and BTS for a decade, and have hosted one of Tony's PDR Instructors Courses as well as a number of end-user courses with Coach Dury at the helm. Been to PDR Instuctors course and a BYOB (Be Your Own Bodyguard) course outside of my box and plan on MANY more. No better tool in a coaches tool kit, AFAIC. I wrote a small piece on this on FB, in case you use FB, and yes, it's WF Safe: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...26387747434702

I think the question is not 'who has used' the genetically programed responses that Tony uses in all his teaching, but 'is there anyone who hasn't?!" If you are a human and are confronted by an ambush situation? You've already experienced the Startle Flinch response. Now the question is can you make the reactive transition from the primal response to a protective then tactical response and use that speed and natural movement to your advantage. I have met more than a few operators in just the past two years that are sure that that adaptation is what got them home safe to those they love.

Long answer to a short question? Tony doesn't teach 'techniques', he enables you to use the fastest, most natural, genetically encoded response to sudden danger as a bridge to your next move using the techniques you already have in your toolbox.

Is that of any of that help?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallach View Post
Mathew,

I think the question is not 'who has used' the genetically programed responses that Tony uses in all his teaching, but 'is there anyone who hasn't?!" If you are a human and are confronted by an ambush situation? You've already experienced the Startle Flinch response. Now the question is can you make the reactive transition from the primal response to a protective then tactical response and use that speed and natural movement to your advantage. I have met more than a few operators in just the past two years that are sure that that adaptation is what got them home safe to those they love.

Long answer to a short question? Tony doesn't teach 'techniques', he enables you to use the fastest, most natural, genetically encoded response to sudden danger as a bridge to your next move using the techniques you already have in your toolbox.

Is that of any of that help?
I did Judo & Jujitsu in college and I agree with David about how we respond when faced with real threats.

I got jumped by 3 HS kids while in college one night. They sent the big guy in first (was 50lbs+ over me) and then came in one to late. When I realized (took about 2 seconds) what was happening I shoulder threw the big boy who grabbed me around my neck and dropped into a triangle choke on him. I managed to get the 2nd kid into a nice arm bar and was tweaking his shoulder when I asked the 3rd kid if he really wanted in this dog fight... had he came in I would have been in trouble, but he hesitated, allowing me to finish choking out the 'meat' of the pack and disable the 2nd guy and get up and start backing away.

It was all over in about 15-25 seconds. Blood was pounding, adrenaline was rushing through my veins like mad. All those practices where you go over technique 100x's paid off. I escaped pretty much unscathed but had a new respect for my Sensies drilling me till I learned to do without thinking.

All the training in the world can only hope to teach you what to do when you respond. How you respond, well that is what really matters...