CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
One year of eating "clean" and lifting kind of heavy with pics

So, I think most people have seen my "before" CrossFit fat pic plus enough of my "now" pics. If you haven't, do a search.

Anyway, a year ago today, I started my first 30 days of "Paleo." No sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine, no grains, no dairy. I was totally strict for that first 30 days (except bacon, and don't even talk to me about bacon not being Paleo), no "cheats." After the first 30 days, I stayed "clean," but not Paleo. I have consistently eaten whole corn (no corn products), potatoes, some beans and wild rice. I have done 150+ days without alcohol in various stretches, and I went back to drinking coffee a long time ago, haha.

So, the interesting thing (to me, at least), is that one year ago today, I weighed EXACTLY what I did this morning - 143 lbs. My "before" CrossFit pic is at 174 lbs, so I had already lost 30 lbs pre-Paleo (OMG, WHAT?! You can lose weight without Zone or Paleo?! Holy hell! Who would have thunk it?). I did NOT go Paleo to try to lose any more weight. I did it because I had torn my stupid hamstring, and I was sitting out of WODs, and I was desperate to make it better.

I have weighed as little as 132 lbs in the last year (so over 40 lbs of total weight loss). I found it consistently difficult to keep weight on by eating clean. I have gone on and off with actively trying to GAIN weight, which has (until recently) involved just upping my portions but still eating clean. My current weight of 143 lbs is mainly the result of spending the last 4 months lifting heavy and NOT doing WODs, including a 2 month stretch where I didn't run a single step, which was awesome.

Outside of that first 30 days, I have never considered anything a "cheat." I don't have emotional issues with food or body image. If I want to eat something, I eat it and I never feel guilty. But, by Paleo standards, I have had very few cheats in the last year, mainly because real food tastes better and eating crap makes me sick to my stomach. For the last month or so, I have gone back to trying to put on some weight again, mainly because CrossFit is not my goal at the moment and lifting heavy is. So, although I still primarily eat clean, I've eaten some hefty amounts of peanut butter and other random "cheat" foods in the last few weeks.

So, here I am 143 lbs today and 143 lbs exactly one year ago. And, my body is COMPLETELY different. I don't really care if anyone else likes it more or less now. I liked my body perfectly fine a year ago, and I like it today. Like I said, I don't have body image issues (unless you are one of the people who thinks that me taking 1000 pics of myself is an issue, and then whatever). I have never once made a decision about my nutrition based on appearance. Performance has been my only motivating factor. Form follows function, right?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=a995a585f0 (This is NOT WFS due to profanity and other potentially inappropriate comments, but the pics are WFS. Sorry, I'm way too lazy to create another album and my Facebook page always has profanity and inappropriate crap. Deal or don't click on it.)
Old 10-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Katie "KD" Davenport

Profile:
Re: One year of eating "clean" and lifting kind of heavy with pics

Well done Tamara. I always enjoy hearing from you. Go get it.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Laura Phelps

Profile:

That is amazing! Thanks for sharing. I am still at a stage that I need constant reminders that it is not about numbers on the scale!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Debra Rae Doyle

Profile:

Great job! You look amazing.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Elizabeth Almstrom

Profile:

Wow excellent results! Out of curiosity have you tracked your bodyfat % through this?

Good Work!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

This is a good post because it helps drive the point that all the scale reflects is gravity and that it shouldn't be an indicator of good or bad health.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, guys. I have NOT tracked my bodyfat, mainly because when someone posts that they want to get down to 7.7875% bodyfat, I am the one who thinks, "Dude, get a life." But, yeah, my bodyfat percentage has gone down...that's obvious.

The one thing I wish I had done was take measurements along the way. I was probably a size 6 in the pic from October of last year. I got down to a size 2 or size 3 in junior's when I was 132-135 lbs. Now, at 143 lbs, my proportions have changed substantially from squatting and deadlifting heavy. My stomach still needs a size 3 in my favorite Pac Sun jeans, but my @ss and thighs require a size 5. Finding jeans that fit is officially annoying. I mean I know clothes sizes aren't consistent, but to put that into perspective, the last time that I wore a size 2, I weighed 118 lbs. When I got married, I weighed 135 lbs, and I was a size 8. When people who have seen my pictures online meet me in person, the first thing that I inevitably hear is "You are really skinny in person."

Oh, and I am 5'8.

I have been unmeasured Paleo/clean the whole time with random days of tracking in FitDay, mainly because I got tired of people asking what I eat. My calories vary from day to day - probably 2100 on a low day and 2700 on a high day (I know for a fact that I was well over 3000 yesterday). But, since I am fairly consistent with the actual foods that I eat, I know that I am usually 40-50% fat, 30% protein, and 20-30% carbs. I eat a lot of fruit. It hasn't killed me yet.

And, if you want to know my training schedule, every single workout I've done since last June is in my workout log.

You too should take pics and keep a workout log. Just sayin'.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

"Bean pole" was how I heard you described.

But seriously, Tamara has done a great job in regards to her strength and conditioning. Get your training certificates and go kick some Tracy Anderson butt.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Nice job! You have the Sarah Conners' shoulders, especially in the last pic, which are awesome. Keep up the good work and good luck with gaining weight and getting to a 300lb deadlift!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

I loved this update. It was fantastic. My favorite part of it was that you eat Paleo/clean but don't obsess about it. I read your posts and stalk your facebook in the hopes that your attitude about food rubs off on me. (so far it seems to be working!)

<3