CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:
Re: Equipping a New Facility

Thanks for the responses guy, it has all been so helpful

Edit: Just checked out muscledriver USA and their package is very nice and reasonable priced too for anyone else looking around.

I also have a question for anyone that knows about the c2 rowers and the model type. Are the model types big differences between rowers, like is there a quality/price difference between the models?

Last edited by Tommy Alfinito : 07-11-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Brian Strump

Profile:

The biggest difference with the rowers is the programming offered and some of the stats they log.

For the best prices I've found try,
Bert J. Thornton
Midwest Fitness Solutions LLC
Owner/Sales Manager
Cell: 417-894-8189
Fax: 417-616-7496

I got new C2 rowers with PM3 for $890 each, tax and shipping included.

If anyone know a better place to get them, please share.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Alfinito View Post
Thanks for the responses guy, it has all been so helpful

Edit: Just checked out muscledriver USA and their package is very nice and reasonable priced too for anyone else looking around.

I also have a question for anyone that knows about the c2 rowers and the model type. Are the model types big differences between rowers, like is there a quality/price difference between the models?
Tommy,

Avoid the Model B's or A's. We had some B's and got rid of them. C's are great for Crossfit if you can find them at a decent price (under $500). D's and E's are awesome also but for Crossfit purposes wont do anything C's wont. Used C's with PM2 monitors are all you need if you can find them.

Regarding MuscleDriver, we have had great dealings with them.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

Thanks for the info, muscledrivers package looks good to me, but I see that all the companies allow you to customize the package. I have begun to put together a good base list that I am going to send out to all of the companies, and see what prices I receive. I also will keep in mind customer service for the companies as I won't name the companies, but I have heard of a few with poor customer service. Maybe I will post my base equipment list when its close to done.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

Well I have begun to put together a starting list for equipment and all to add up expenses and cost.
I am looking to be able to train 5-6 people comfortably at a time to start. I feel like that means I need to be able to have enough for 3 people to be working out on the same workout at the same time. Here is my list so far, I am back and forth on many things such as the boxes and dynamax balls. I also am back and forth on buying or making the boxes, but I think I may buy some nice sets to start, but well see I am still a ways away from finalizing. Any criticism or help with the list is appreciated. I also do not know how many bumper plates I need to start, and if I need to buy a bench or 2 in the beginning, I feel like that can wait.

Olympic Bars - 5
"Womens" Bar - 2
Bumper Plates -
45 - 10
35 - 4
25 - 10
10 - 10
Metal Plates
5 - 10
2.5 - 10
Rings - 5
Boxes
24in - 3
20in - 2
14in - 2
Climbing Ropes - 2
Dynamax Ball
20# - 3
14# - 3
10# - 2
Abmats - 5
GHD - 1
Squat Rack - 3
Kettlebells
2pd - 2
1.5pd - 4
1pd - 3
Speed Ropes - 5

I know its a long list, but if anyone has any suggestions feel free to chime in. I feel like I can wait on the dumbbells, benches, medicine balls/slammer balls, and I will be constantly checking craiglists for rowing machines, and if I can't find one by the time I am ready to open then I may have to shell out the cash for at least one rower because I feel like it would be important to have.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Brian Strump

Profile:

I would to add 35lb bumpers, and get 6 10lb bumpers. The 10lb, unless your getting the very high end pendlays will not last you more than 2 years. Then they get dropped, they will bend, and be the first to break. Some CF opt for 25# womans bar, or training bar, and use heavier bumpers to reach the same weight on the bar. That being said, I would add 10lb metal plates to your list. Look on craigslist for metal plates, they are pretty easy to come by, in the future you will need those as start doing 1RM.

For Plyo boxes, unless you are training a group now that loves the 24in boxes, I wouldn's start with them. Get more 20in instead, that'll be plenty high for alot of people, if you need a 24in box, put a 45lb plate on top for the time being. We have 24in, and use them, but ours can be reduced to 20in.
I wouldn't get 14in box, go to Home Depot, and but a few irrigation boxes, they are between 14-16in. I have 6 of them, and you can stack them to increase the height.

I wouldn nix the 1 GHD. You will never just use one in a WOD because you'll have too many people. I'd wait until I could get 3. Most of your members won't be able to do the sit ups on them, and there are many other ways to work the core w/o that. You can put the $500+ to much better use....for instance,
More kettlebells. Most woman will not be able to swing the 1p, and most men unable to swing the 2p for a WOD. They may eventually get there, but how are you going to teach them to swing a KB if they can't even lift it? We do not have dumbells, and use the KB's alot. I would look to get some 12kg KB's at the least. We have 2 8kg KB's, that's plenty when trying to teach an average 40+ female how to swing one for the first time.

And what about pull ups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Alfinito View Post
Well I have begun to put together a starting list for equipment and all to add up expenses and cost.
I am looking to be able to train 5-6 people comfortably at a time to start. I feel like that means I need to be able to have enough for 3 people to be working out on the same workout at the same time. Here is my list so far, I am back and forth on many things such as the boxes and dynamax balls. I also am back and forth on buying or making the boxes, but I think I may buy some nice sets to start, but well see I am still a ways away from finalizing. Any criticism or help with the list is appreciated. I also do not know how many bumper plates I need to start, and if I need to buy a bench or 2 in the beginning, I feel like that can wait.

Olympic Bars - 5
"Womens" Bar - 2
Bumper Plates -
45 - 10
35 - 4
25 - 10
10 - 10
Metal Plates
5 - 10
2.5 - 10
Rings - 5
Boxes
24in - 3
20in - 2
14in - 2
Climbing Ropes - 2
Dynamax Ball
20# - 3
14# - 3
10# - 2
Abmats - 5
GHD - 1
Squat Rack - 3
Kettlebells
2pd - 2
1.5pd - 4
1pd - 3
Speed Ropes - 5

I know its a long list, but if anyone has any suggestions feel free to chime in. I feel like I can wait on the dumbbells, benches, medicine balls/slammer balls, and I will be constantly checking craiglists for rowing machines, and if I can't find one by the time I am ready to open then I may have to shell out the cash for at least one rower because I feel like it would be important to have.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

Thanks Brian that information was so helpful.

My plan for the pull up bar is to wait until I find the exact location and decide how best to fit it into the layout. I am planning to find a welder and put together a large contraption that can hold 8 or so people and maybe even include monkey bars like one design I saw.

I took you info and changed my KBs
2pd- maybe 1
1.5 pd - 3
1pd - 4
12kg 2-3
8kg - 2

and for my boxs
24in - maybe 1
20in - 4
and buy the irrigation boxes like you said.

I understand what you are saying about the ghd. I think I just have wanted to use a GHD so long I wanted to get one, so I probably should wait on it until I can afford more, thanks for talking me into my senses.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Get rid of the GHD, add 10 x 10 metal plates, get rid of the 35# rubber plates....like he said !!!! Build your own boxes (or cheap ones from Home Depot), get some PVC pipe
Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

Thanks Steve.

I am going to look around but what length and diameter pvc pipe do you guys use. Also I have not gotten any responses about benches and squat racks. I am looking at getting the basic squat racks that are just two adjustable towers and I feel like 2-3 is necessary to start simply for squatting. The benches seem like something I can put off until I get going, but I would love to hear from others. I will also be visiting a few affiliates next month to learn more, but I am trying to gather as much info as I can now.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Brian Strump

Profile:

Most of what we got was from talking to many affiliates too.
I won't beat a dead horse with the one GHD....but,

Don't worry about a bench, we have one....it's used for sitting on more than anything.
I would get the squat racks you are talking about at first, before investing in better ones. We have the same kind, and work fine.

Have them cut the 12ft PVC pipe in half for you at Home Depot, I think we get the 3/4in diameter.

Instead of training plates, we cut circles from plywood, the same diameter as bumper plates. I would recommend that first, if you are trying to invest your money in other equipment.

You can make your own boxes IF you are handy. I am not. If it's going to be half assed, and break easily I'd buy the boxes.