CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Lee Lister

Profile:
Is a 5km treadmill run the same as a 5km flat outdoor surface run?
I recently finished a 5km treadmill run without a break and in reasonable condition at the end. I was somewhat surprised with this, as I struggled with a 5km run a couple of months ago on a sports oval. Any feedback is appreciated.
Lee
Old 04-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I believe that a 1% grade is needed, as there is no wind resistance on a treamill run.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Michael Winker

Profile:
Most treadmills are not accurate when displaying speed and distance. They are approximations. There is a margin of error in them and it can be significant.
The speed and distance displays are derived from how fast the treadmill's motor is running. Variables such as one's body weight, the conditon of the belt and platform, the friction between the belt and the platform, and a few others affect the readings.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:27 AM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
I think provided that the mill is reasonably accurate and the incline is at 1-2 degrees, it should be comparable. I tend to run on my treadmill more than outdoors primarily because it's more cushioned than pavement and it allows me to run at any time of the day. I often run at night when it's dark out, I simply go downstairs, turn on the tv and go. I do think that mentally, a mill can be harder. Outside there are plenty of distractions to take your mind off what you are doing whereas indoors it can be pretty boring. I also find myself looking at the data too often which makes the distances feel longer. Currently, I'm on the last two episodes of the first season of 24 which I've been progressing through over the last several weeks to keep my mind occupied. Again, since alot of workouts are done at night, I really like having it for the wod's that call for intervals of running.

David
Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
My comment to people trying to compare a treadmill and 'ground' running is the following:

Stand in a straddled position (feet either side of the belt) on a treadmill, press start, bring the speed up to 3mph, hold on with your hands and put your left foot on the belt...what happened?
Now stand on the ground, stand in front of a wall, lean against the wall like you did on the treadmill, now put your left foot down...ooups...not the same thing right?

I personnally don't believe the treadmill and the ground are even comparable in any shape or form...I guess it would be like down hill skiing and snowboarding...they just both go down hill in a 'S' type pattern to control speed.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
Allan Bulkley

Profile:  
I've improved my running significantly by running primarily on the treadmill. I mostly do intervals, but sometimes do longer runs as well.

One huge advantage that the treadmill has over running outside is the ability to give you a hill whenever you want it. As well as allowing you to safely and easily run any time and in any weather, etc.

Always keeping the incline at 2% as a baseline will negate many of the 'advantages' that the treadmill offers.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #7
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Surely they are not exact duplicates of each other, but running on a treadmill is an excellent substitute. In addition, if you live in a snowy region, it might be your only option for several months. Any "advantage" to running on a treadmill is easily offset by the absolute boredom of running in place (regardless of what's on TV).
Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #8
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
A treadmill is not at all the same as being outside.

Outside you are having to create forward momentum through your muscles. Add to that weather, wind, and so on. you have to absorb impact with the ground and also counteract any braking forces caused by each foot strike.

On a tread mill the belt is providing movement, meaning that you just have to pick up and place your foot down at the speed needed. Once your foot is on the belt, the belt will now carry your foot along.

Plus you don't have to absorb impact, the deck of the treadmill does most of it for you. On top of that you are not dealing with creating your own forward momentum, you are relying on a machine to do that.

Realistically a running on a treadmill is not a natural activity. Because it actually can cause weakness in joints and muscles.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #9
Marc Moffett

Profile:
I find that my running form seems to be affected by using a mill. Maybe this is because I don't use it much. But it is really hard for me to get a nice fluid stride going.

It is also more difficult to quickly change your speed. I almost always run in using a fartlek-style variation even when I am not doing intervals and it just isn't that easy to do on the mill. But again, maybe this is just because I haven't "mastered" running on the mill.

And who says you can't run in a snow storm? :happy:
Old 04-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #10
Bob Long

Profile:
I don't know exactly how to say this but it's just not the same "experience." I guess terrain, weather, wind, sun, scenery, and other stuff all affect the experience, going beyond measures of caloric expenditure, perceived effort, etc. Is it the same "work?" Possibly. Is it the same experience? Not even close.