CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Kevin Piercy

Profile:
Style Suited For Army Infantry?

For those of you who are in the military (preferably either Army or Marines but I love all suggestions) and/or well versed in martial arts I would like some opinions and suggestions about what style of martial arts would be most effective/useful for Infantry.

I'm leaving for BCT and OCS in October and I'm not really looking to start anything until after I get assigned to a base but I'd like suggestions to do research and perhaps check them out before I leave.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
Scott Moore.

Profile:
Re: Style Suited For Army Infantry?

Why not just go through the Army Combatatives course? I think they cover some of the combatives during BCT or OCS.

If you're looking for something outside of the military, I would suggest Muay Thai, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu or a Mixed Martial Arts type gym as that's what the Army bases their Combatives around
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

i suggest Krav Maga, modern system which was originally developed in the military for the military. There are different 'systems' in KM, civilian, VIP/body guard and of course military so if your going to look for it before sure to scout out an instructor which is qualified to teach that particular system.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Kevin Piercy

Profile:

Thanks guys.

I'm going to do Army Combatives as part of my training I'm just thinking of things outside of that
Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

judo and greco roman are really good at getting someone on the ground either nicely or not so nicely. Also, when someone is tied up, it's harder to run away, get help and what not. It works both way though.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
Tony Black

Profile:

Generally speaking Boxing, Muay thai, Judo , BJJ and wrestling are thought of as styles which have greatest carryover into sport fighting. And they do give alot of carry over into Self Defense... The comonality between those styles is your often sparring against live reacting unpredictable opponents. As opposed to where most Traditional Martial arts (TMA's) fail - where most of the stuff is drilled against air or against opponents attacking with predictable set piece moves who pause politely as you dispatch them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Piercy View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm going to do Army Combatives as part of my training I'm just thinking of things outside of that

Kevin then id look to strike based training.

Boxing would be a first choice from which id adapt the strikes when outside the ring. ie use a palm heel instead of fist for head shots. For your purposes and considering your time limited id look for developing a powerful right cross.

Muay Thai would also be good and fun. Id emphasize right cross, elbows and low round kicks.

If you want to have a quick dirty Self defense application id look to "index" with my lead hand (ie left) and then repeatedly apply right cross palm heel (the best primary tool) to the oppositions head (the best target)....

By indexing i mean tie up, lightly touch or remove any obstructions and obstacles to your primary tool. A obstacle might be his lead hand guard. Example grasp it push it into his chest. Or merely pull it down... Then repeatedly strike using explosive impactive tools to create brain shake and neutralise your opponent.

As a basic tactic ive found this extremely effective and it can be drilled well on pads.

Judo fun and a extremely good conditioning session - the better SD carry over IMHO comes from the standing grappling and the ability to remain on your feet with a opponent trying to take you down.... Positional groundwork is great BUT any system for SD which emphasis going to ground as a valid tactic is lunacy IMHO. But any good fighter should learn groundwork - if only so that they can regain there feet faster.

I feel the US army combative course fails in this regard as most of what ive read points to a huge groundwork bias. Theres still seems to be alot of useful stuff in there. But that inbuilt ground emphasis is plain wrong imho.

Going to ground (some of this applies to even standing grappling) should be a big no-no because it ties you up and commits you to ONE individual. Often negates any chance of reacting to another attack (a 12 year old kid could kick your head off quite easily). Its espically nasty if your opposition manages to draw a edged weapon... Also with regards to larger size, strength and power disparities grappling becomes alot more dicey. There are no weight categories on the street or battlefield.

If i was facing some monster 2 (or more!) times my bodyweight grappling still wouldnt be my first choice. Effective striking would be. My chances my still be slim - but they dont become greater choosing grappling out of desperation.

And regarding the battlefield - huge amounts of techniques immediately become impractical whilst wearing bodyarmour and webbing carrying a weapon etc. Let alone the enviroment such as shattered glass/fragmenation on the ground. If some1 pulls guard in a truely life or death situation whats stopping you from deadlifting them and dropping there back onto a curb or similar object? What works well in a sporting arena often doesnt translate well into a SD arena.

Learn groundwork absoutely this stuff can happen despite your best efforts! But dont make it your primary choice for hand to hand.

Good luck with it Kevin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Also, when someone is tied up, it's harder to run away, get help and what not.

You shouldnt be beating on people who are tied up Jaime!

Last edited by Tony Black : 03-25-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Everyone I tie up seems to like getting beaten. Maybe it's just me.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

Sounds like you've been around the block a few times, Tony, but wouldn't Krav Maga--as suggested earlier--or a SPEAR like defense system get the OP the most bang for his buck in the least amount of time? Defensive skill sets built for practicality first, rather than sport first and practicality second, seem like a better choice, given a limited amount of time to train and learn a new skill set.

I'm thinking that the more realistic scenarios, goal of quick disabling strikes and escape, and potential for training with weapons would make Krav, or similar, a better choice for short term training if time or recovery will not support the development of multiple disciplines simultaneously (which I wouldn't think the OP would be able to support).
Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
Matt Payne

Profile:

I would strongly suggest Krav Maga. It is still the main combative used in the IDF and in fact civilian training is more technical than what the average solider in the IDF gets (not including Special Forces). It combines elements of judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing. It is close quarters combat which I think sounds like what you are looking for. A Civilian course would be fine to take. I train/teach Krav and we have members of the military train with us.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Are there Krav Maga tournies or competitions?