CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
Josh Groves

Profile:
Re: UFC 111 predictions

Anderson Silva -vs- GSP. I want to see that soooo bad. They're both so well rounded that the one cannot simply take the other out of their element. If it's up, it will be brutal. If it goes to the ground, I'd expect a technical battle of the finest sort.

Of course, I don't think I'll ever get to see this fight.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
Steve Sheffar

Profile:

Seriously? Enough complaints.

GSP WON!

He dictated where the fight went. Hardy would have tried to keep it on the feet if he knew how, but he didn't. The better fighter imposed their will and won.

People say:" I am a fan and I didn't pay for boring fights. I pay for action."

I say: "You also pay for the govenment to be in power and look what the results of that are".

WIN. That is the object of the game.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #23
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
So he can be murdered by Silva?
Well time will tell won't it.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
That's because Hardy had absolutely no business being in that ring with GSP. Dry humping his way to another title defense I guess...how boring. What is boring is the lack of people left for him to go through. I hope he goes up to 185 soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
So he can be murdered by Silva?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Groves View Post
Anderson Silva -vs- GSP. I want to see that soooo bad. They're both so well rounded that the one cannot simply take the other out of their element. If it's up, it will be brutal. If it goes to the ground, I'd expect a technical battle of the finest sort.

Of course, I don't think I'll ever get to see this fight.
GSP would be an idiot to go up to 185 to fight Silva. Silva has thoroughly decimated the 185 class and is making strides to do the same in the 205 class.
GSP is not an idiot.
Therefore, GSP will not fight Silva.

That is all.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
William Hunter

Profile:

I don't know. I get the strange feeling that moving up to 185 may be in GSP's long term plans. The preview show talked about how he's making considerable effort to put on additional mass. I think he may continue to work himself up in weight, slowly and surely, until he's a more legit 185'er. GSP strikes me as very thoughtful and methodical. He won't rush up there too quickly. Hopefully Silva will not run off and retire in the meantime.

Easily the best takedown artist in MMA vs easily the most accurate and vicious striker in MMA. GSP takes everyone down w/o absorbing punishment, but I'm not sure he could do it to Silva w/o eating some shots. Also, once down, GSP is facing someone physically strong who is also a BJJ black belt so winning the positioning battle will be harder and simply overpowering him will be next to impossible. If is stays on the feet...no contest.

I think GSP is the current #2 pound for pound champ. Silva is still #1, by a lot. Lots of ways for Silva to win, very few for GSP. I would not miss that fight for anything!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #26
Chance Adams

Profile:

Rogan referenced GSP making the move to 185 before Saturday's fight.

Here's the deal though, Silva walks around about 230 lbs. That's a HUGE difference in size over GSP who is around 190. Anderson is a BIG guy.

I'm not sure how accurate the Tale of the Tape's are for some of these dudes. I met Forrest Griffin back in January. Given he was nursing a broken foot at the time. But that dude is a beast. He's every bit of 230 and I'd say closer to 240+. I'm 6', 200 and he absolutely dwarfed me. I don't think there's much difference between Forrest and Anderson size wise...maybe a little. Mir was listed at 6'3 and was noticeably taller than Carwin who was listed at 6'5. Somewhat off topic, but i'm just sayin...
Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #27
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Adams View Post
Rogan gets paid to hype fights.
'nuf said.

Quote:
Here's the deal though, Silva walks around about 230 lbs. That's a HUGE difference in size over GSP who is around 190. Anderson is a BIG guy.
Exactly. And Silva is also super quick for a man of his size... not to mention he is really long-limbed, and would have a pretty sizable reach on GSP.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #28
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:

I'm not sure how accurate the Tale of the Tape's are for some of these dudes. I met Forrest Griffin back in January. Given he was nursing a broken foot at the time. But that dude is a beast. He's every bit of 230 and I'd say closer to 240+. I'm 6', 200 and he absolutely dwarfed me. I don't think there's much difference between Forrest and Anderson size wise...maybe a little. Mir was listed at 6'3 and was noticeably taller than Carwin who was listed at 6'5. Somewhat off topic, but i'm just sayin...
Silva does not walk around at 230...He walks around at approx. 210 and hardly has to cut at all for his LHW matches. GSP walks around at about 190. Silva is awesome, never ever fought anyone as well rounded as GSP. GSP is also a BJJ Black Belt. Anderson seems to have the most challenge with excellent ground fighters (Travis Lutter). I do not think GSP could handle Anderson's stand up...but I do think he could wear Anderson down for sure.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #29
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Silva does not walk around at 230...He walks around at approx. 210 and hardly has to cut at all for his LHW matches. GSP walks around at about 190. Silva is awesome, never ever fought anyone as well rounded as GSP. GSP is also a BJJ Black Belt. Anderson seems to have the most challenge with excellent ground fighters (Travis Lutter). I do not think GSP could handle Anderson's stand up...but I do think he could wear Anderson down for sure.
People like to point out the Lutter fight as evidence of Silva having trouble with ground fighters but they always conveniently leave out the part where he had just had double knee surgery and basically had no legs. Hell even Lutter said he felt no squeeze from the triangle and tapped to the elbows.
If Silva had both his legs 100% in that fight it would've been a completely different story.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 AM   #30
William Hunter

Profile:

I've never personally seen Silva lose a fight but apparently he was subbed a couple of times over in Japan (someone with a longer history of mma fandom can confirm this hopefully).

Of course, that is now several years ago and he is no doubt a much better fighter. Not sure if he's ever been defeated with strikes.