CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: Question to the fighers out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
It doesn't bother me much with like Tapout, Affliction, UFC brand merchandise. But when I see someone with like an American Fighter shirt on or something a little more personal to the fighters that **** bugs me alot.
I am kind of the opposite, if your sporting a Tapout shirt I think you should be able to walk the walk because there is a certain connotation that goes with Tapout as in you are saying you're a bada$$. If your sporting something more personal like American fighter that's like the equivalent of an NFL Jersey, like supporting the team you like.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
Tony Black

Profile:

On the one hand yea it raises the sports profile and through trickle down in theory the fighters will be eventually be getting a cut....

On the other hand the ranks of those wearing some of those shirts does seem to be over represented by d- bags as you americans might say.....

But then again if you want to be really uncharitable that does tend to characterise quite alot of MMA's demographics - 20 something meatheads

Sometimes help out in Cage Rage and walking home after a show is just LOL drunken brawling by hyped up punters rolling around in busy main roads etcetc. Bless them
Old 03-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Funny you should bring this up, as I was having a related discussion at work last week. (long post)

I am also of the opinion "walk the walk". The last time I had a road-rager stop in a walmart parking lot, he had one of those T-shirts on. I told him very quietly, while he proceeded to have diarhea of the mouth "Oh I get it. Your a toughguy. Are you a Bad@$$? Are you going to HURT ME?" I walked away from that one, laughing at his level of anger and frustration that I wouldnt throwdown in the walmart parking lot.

I had never looked into Tapout as a gear provider, But I see it everywhere. T-Shirts, window vinyls, shoes, everywhere.
I am in the market for a new set of Muay Thai shin gaurds, the cheap vinyl makes me sweat too much, and the sweat+vinyl slips on the pads and bags. So I started looking, I was browsing around at where I would buy century gear, and noticed Tapout doesnt actually SELL training gear. No mouthgaurds, headgear, gloves, not even a rashgaurd. I mean EVERYBODY sells rashgaurd tops!
I asked a friend of mine who trains full contact and he said yes, you are correct, it might as well say "D@%$&bag" instead.

So they DO however sponser fighters? If I bought a T-Shirt that said "World Class D#&$#bag" could that make sure a young new fighter gets to stop waiting tables at chilis, or can afford a new set of wraps this week?

Last edited by Shane Lawrence : 03-22-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
Craig Rogers

Profile:

I have a Preds shirt but can't skate, just a fan.
I have a Titans shirt, don't play, not even a big fan, just live here.
I have a Chelsea shirt, Columbus Crew and KC Wizards jerseys, I play but i suck.
I have both a Green Lantern and Capt America shirt, but have neither a power ring (green or any other color) nor a kick *** shield.
What is really different about a Tap Out gear? They like the sport and are showing support. I guess I am just a poseur and should burn all my clothes.

I did watch a show on the guys that started Tap Out. Anyone that can go from selling shirts out of the back of the van to where they are now I have to give it up for.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Lawrence View Post
Funny you should bring this up, as I was having a related discussion at work last week. (long post)

I am also of the opinion "walk the walk". The last time I had a road-rager stop in a walmart parking lot, he had one of those T-shirts on. I told him very quietly, while he proceeded to have diarhea of the mouth "Oh I get it. Your a toughguy. Are you a Bad@$$? Are you going to HURT ME?" I walked away from that one, laughing at his level of anger and frustration that I wouldnt throwdown in the walmart parking lot.

I had never looked into Tapout as a gear provider, But I see it everywhere. T-Shirts, window vinyls, shoes, everywhere.
I am in the market for a new set of Muay Thai shin gaurds, the cheap vinyl makes me sweat too much, and the sweat+vinyl slips on the pads and bags. So I started looking, I was browsing around at where I would buy century gear, and noticed Tapout doesnt actually SELL training gear. No mouthgaurds, headgear, gloves, not even a rashgaurd. I mean EVERYBODY sells rashgaurd tops!
I asked a friend of mine who trains full contact and he said yes, you are correct, it might as well say "D@%$&bag" instead.

So they DO however sponser fighters? If I bought a T-Shirt that said "World Class D#&$#bag" could that make sure a young new fighter gets to stop waiting tables at chilis, or can afford a new set of wraps this week?
I assume that any time you see the Tap Out logo on a fighters shorts there is a check in it for someone. Why do you think they are so quick to get a shirt with a logo on it over a fighters head as soon as the fight is done.
They shell out some money for some pretty prominent display space for their logo (shorts mats etc.)
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Lawrence View Post

Actually Tap Out sell lots of fight gear. They sell gloves, shins, rash guards etc... Check out Combat Sports or MMA Wearhouse.

Let's face it, there are some who wear this gear to pose as tough etc.. There are also MMA fighters who think because they have had some fights that it makes them street tough. It does not. So really I would rather judge an individual by their actions versus what they wear. A ****** is a ****** regardless and they certainly don't need to wear Tapout to point that out.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #17
Craig Rogers

Profile:

I actually think I would buy a shirt that said 'World Class Dou>>ebag'
Old 04-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Rogers View Post
I actually think I would buy a shirt that said 'World Class Dou>>ebag'
Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #19
Shane Lawrence

Profile:

Maybe its the the frugal side in me. I have a problem paying $40-$50 for a $6 T-Shirt because Silva wore one just like it for <2 minutes when he walked out for his last fight. Sign me up for a cheap tshirt and another months gym membership please!

Back to the OP - If it helps promote the sport for struggling real fighters chasing their dream and the fight, Im all for it =)
Old 04-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #20
Gray Thomas

Profile:

I work in an MMA gym and for everybody that chooses to hate Tapout, you don't realize what Tapout did for this sport. Unlike Affliction, Tapout has been with MMA since the gory days, the days when MMA was illegal and could only be found on Indian Reservations, the days when the UG was the only positive voice for MMA. They supported fighters and paid most fighters back in those days more than the fighters received in their purse.

Then MMA got big and coincidentally, so did Tapout. Instead of Tapout receiving all the praise it deserves for helping to save MMA, it got ostracized by the "elite" who are scared of MMA becoming a mainstream sport. Tapout saw this and even made a show dedicated to showing how they still help the little guys, the "elite" didn't care. The main issue here is that people who train BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA whatever THINK they are better than those who are just casual fans.

However, the plain fact of it is those casual fans are more important than those who train. They're the ones who buy the tickets that pay the fighter's purse, they're the ones who buy the apparel who pay the fighter's sponsorships. The only advantage people who actually train give MMA is that they provide income in the source of teaching for professional trainers.

Also, Tapout sells the best boardshorts I have ever owned. And I own a tapout gear bag and gloves, so to whoever is claiming that tapout doesn't make gear just please be quiet.

That's all for this rant.