CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
Gus Sonnenberg

Profile:

Can anyone help me find an online resource with agility drills ideas?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Just start doing the gymnastics stuff. Nothing will get you more aware of your body, rotations, how to move, balance etc, than doing basic tumbling. It's fun, it's an excellent stimulous and it will improve your agility tremendously.

Do you have a specific need in mind as far as agility? The topic is pretty broad otherwise.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Gus Sonnenberg

Profile:

Good point. I am simply looking to improve my body's ability to play with my kids. So I am looking for drills that help me quickly move forwards, backwards, side to side, any any other direction the critters want to go.

While I have your attention Roger I do have a gymnsatics question. I do not have access to an adult gymnastics class. Do you have some resources you recommend to learn beginners moves? I plan to take a look at the "Drills and Skills" link on the "Friends of Crossfit" list. Probably the best I can do for now is dedicate 10-15 minutes a few times a week learning some of the basic moves. Are there any threads you suggest I review?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Gus,

Hope you don't mind if I jump in. You said:

I am simply looking to improve my body's ability to play with my kids. So I am looking for drills that help me quickly move forwards, backwards, side to side, any any other direction the critters want to go.

It's been brought up before that the activity of people is best modelled around the equation of 'CrossFit + X' where X is your sport. I'm thinking that, for you, X could be defined as playing with your kids. Bring them to the park, watch what they do, try to copy them.

Additionally check out Roger's awesome site. Pick a skill or two and try it out at the park while your kids are playing. If possible, allow them access to where you work out (hopefully, you have a home gym or lenient commercial facility). The cool thing about CrossFit and gymnastics is that the kids generally will WANT to try most of the movements, ESPECIALLY if they see their parents/adult role models involved.

By using the WOD as your base of fitness and having unstructured play time with your kids, I'm betting you won't need the extra drills, your agility will develop as a natural outgrowth of the activities (not to mention, you won't notice how hard you're 'working'). In addition, your children will get to spend extra time with you during the time you 'work' at your agility and you'll expose them to the idea that physical activity is normal, even for us older folk.

Another website worth checking is www.goanimal.com.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 10-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Or, try Parkour...I have as much fun playing on the playground as my kids do!

http://www.va-parkour.com/sampler_gear.avi
(requires DivX..free downloadhttp://www.divx.com/divx/play/)
Old 10-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Gus, start with rolling and handstands. The rolling is so you get a good base of dealing with falls, the handstands because it's just such a darn good and essential skill.

If you get the journal the latest has details on the forward roll and variants. As others have posted there's a ton of stuff on my site. Mainly start playing round with rolling, getting upside down, headstands and handstands. Climbing play structures with your kids.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
Gus Sonnenberg

Profile:

Roger, Jesse and Ryan

Thanks for the feedback. I enjoy the title of the "Young Dad" in the neighborhood. Some of our freeze tag sessions have been as challenging as a WOD. It's a blast.

I will work some tumbling into my weekly workouts, and into my play with the kids. Sorry to ask a stupid question, but Rodger, is the "Drills and Skills" site yours, or do you have a different site?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Oh, yeah sorry.
http://www.drillsandskills.com is mine

Old 10-17-2005, 07:47 AM   #9
Gus Sonnenberg

Profile:

Great. Thanks. I apologize for mispelling your name in my last post.