CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 AM   #1
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I'm sure this was obvious to most people... but not me. I'd been doing a half strict pullup, then kicking the rest of the way up.

I just downloaded the "Frelen" video and I was watching the people who are really good at kipping and had one of those forehead slapping experiences - they're swinging at the bottom! It's like they get to kip 50% earlier than I do!

I can't wait to practice! Man, almost makes me want to do Fran again tomorrow... or try Frelen... or just do lots and lots of pullups...
Old 07-20-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Kipping is a skill, and it is fun. I love the feeling of sending myself upward by explosively contracting the abs from that bottom stretch.

I used to play 2-man beach volleyball at a competitive level, and remember having sore abs if I hadn't played in a bit and then played in a tournament. The spiking motion is very, very similar to the start of the kip. The power comes from the core, with the arm at the end of the whip. Wish I'd known about kipping pullups back then.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

Thanks Joshua, that may give me an idea of what to target for improvement.

I've noticed much the same thing in my "kip". It's more of the knees up, kick variety, than that smooth, body wave thing that you see in the moving pictures...

Keep practicing, I guess.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Laura Rucker

Profile:
I'm dying to practice kipping - since saturday before last when Jeff had me do one on the bar - showing me the initial move that I had been missing. BEfore that, I'd been able to do ONE periodically on a whim, but this time I almost got TWO in a row. And of course, since then, I have had a series of circumstances preventing me from getting anywhere near Brand X's pull up bar. :-)
Old 07-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
This is one that came to me over time, practice and fatigue in the WOD....sort of like the high rep Oly lifts get smoother in technique as fatigue sets in. I started kipping with a lot of wasted movement: knee raise, no forward swing on the negative rep, and a larger pulling load. Now it's a simple body wave, and I'm already arched forward by the time I reach the bottom, a simple forward flick of the hips and I'm firing straight back up with a small pull at the top. It's way less wasted motion.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 AM   #6
Dan Silver

Profile:

Watch Cill Adams do her kips. You can find the vid on Lynne's FAQ page, it's called "Annie and Cill do pullups."

Perfect.

-D.