CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
James Neuman

Profile:
therapy/exercise to address lower back issue?

I have a small, but nagging condition and wonder if I can/should do something to prevent it from becoming worse.

This occurs almost exclusively while I am driving, especially longer distances, but even at short distances. Specifically, I've been noticing kind of a dull ache on my lower left back, somewhat towards the side of my torso. It is like a tired sensation. Occasionally, I also notice this while sitting at my desk for extended periods. A change of position makes it go away.

Whatever this is, it gives me no problems whatsoever when exercising or playing tennis. In fact, I was inclined to ignore it altogether, but it has persisted for weeks now, and I think may be getting slightly more pronounced. Still, this seems like nothing more than a nagging muscle strain to me.

Perhaps not coincidentally, I've also become much less regular in exercising over the past couple of months.

In any event, does this sound familiar to anyone? Should I consider particular exercises to strengthen that area? Is this just a matter of working the core more regularly?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Mike Mallory

Profile:
Re: therapy/exercise to address lower back issue?

Unless you've got a bimmer with 76 way adjustable lumbar.........Most cars set you up for pretty terrible posture.

Ligaments, discs, etc, are viscoelastic.......aka.....they will lengthen more over long periods, where if you stretched it real fast, they wouldn't display much give at all. In other words, it could be just you sitting in a bad position for a long period of time.

Most people have a disc bulge or two....It's just a common thing

Most people also have some kind of SI joint dysfunction. Personally, I think this should all be cleared before going into crossfit, but that's not always the way it works.

With that in mind, I'd go see a PT in your area just to check it out. Catching it when it's just a minor pain is a good thing, so put up a little dough and get it solved while its fresh.......my two cents
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Paul Coplin

Profile:

See my post about lower back strength. Great post by Greg Privitera at the bottom.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40300 WFS

Last edited by Paul Coplin : 08-20-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Mark Kaelin

Profile:

A couple of years ago I was having low back pain and had to stop squats and deadlifts. Thanks to yoga and crossfit I'm back at it. To start out I'd look at taking a class or 2 then you can do it on your own. I especially like Bikram Yoga the heat makes the poses a little easier and really gives you a workout to boot.