CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
11 weeks in, with photos

I didn't think I would be ready to post photos yet, since I've only been back to exercising for 11 weeks. However, I took a photo on Friday, and then forced myself to pull up the one from the beginning of April. I really did not want to look at it because I remembered what a huge wake up call it was. But, I was so happy with the difference in the two photos that I emailed them to the coaches at my affiliate. I figured the photos may motivate some other newcomers who are questioning what CrossFit can really do.

As background, I am a 33 year old mother of two (4.5 and 2.5). I was previously a competitive soccer player who played at the Olympic Development level. I had definitely slowed down on exercise since college but was still active. However, any regular exercise basically ground to a halt once my daughter was born in October 2004. As a result, I was more than 20 lbs heavier at the beginning of April than I was before having children, not even considering how much muscle mass I had lost. And, I was totally in denial.

Also, I have not made dietary changes other than portion control. We eat pretty healthy - no fast food, no junk food, no candy or soda. We hit the farmers' market every weekend and eat a lot of fish, chicken, fruits and veggies. We don't have dessert often, and it's usually ice cream if we do. I've skipped the last few ice cream outings. My biggest vice and source of empty calories is alcohol, which I am so not ready to give up! I'm not ready to go Zone or Paleo at this point, but now that I've made some progress and I see that CF is a good match for me, I'm rethinking dietary stuff in general.

I started off working with a personal trainer and then moved to the CF affiliate this month. Right now, I am doing the WOD at the affiliate 3x per week and then working out on my own 2x per week.

I'm 5'8.
April 1, 2009 - 174 lbs
June 19, 2009 - 157 lbs

Tamara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_1_2009.jpg
Views:	7851
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	4495  Click image for larger version

Name:	June_19_2009.jpg
Views:	7788
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	4496  
Old 06-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Eric Lester

Profile:
Re: 11 weeks in, with photos

Daaaaamn, nice work, girl. You must have been hitting it hard these past few months, this is a great testimonial to CrossFit and your own hard work!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, Eric! I've definitely been hitting it hard but smart. I was fortunate to find a trainer who really knows how to scale and pushed the basics. And, my affiliate rocks...I'll say that again and again. I think it's been easier for me to push myself given my competitive background, but it's also harder to back off. Yesterday was a rest day...and I NEEDED the rest. My body could tell that, but my brain was trying to argue that I should do something. I listened to my body!

Today was my first Fran. I know CrossFit is a good match for me because even seriously scaled, Fran whupped my butt. But, it just makes me want to get stronger and faster. The weight loss has become secondary...I want my first unassisted pull-up!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Wow! Great work Tamara!

As another relative newb, my congratulations. I've been crossfitting at a globo, but your story is strengthening my desire to find a good affiliate soon.

Keep it up!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Mat Frankel

Profile:

Unbelievable! Great transformation so far! You have definitely been working hard and it is showing. Keep working hard and you are going to be amazed with where your fitness and body composition goes. I bet you will be in better shape then when you were playing soccer. Also awesome to hear that you sent the pictures to your affiliate. It should help some people see the power that they have to change.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Great job, congrats.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, Matt. I belong to the YMCA, and honestly, they don't even have the equipment I need to do most of the WODs. They do have some really awesome personal trainers there who know what they are talking about, so that is a plus. If it wasn't for my trainer at the Y, I wouldn't even know about CF. But, there is no comparison to the affiliate, especially for someone like me who needs to scale and has never done Oly lifting before. I still find it funny when I go to the Y and, SERIOUSLY, everyone stares when I do pushups, pullups, situps and squats. It's like 90% of the people there have never done a bodyweight exercise before!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Frankel View Post
I bet you will be in better shape then when you were playing soccer.
Thanks, Mat! I will definitely be in much better overall shape than when I was playing soccer. I love NOT specializing. I'm working so many muscles that I never paid the least bit of attention to for soccer.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Thanks, Brian. Love your log, especially notes like "Aarg, sucked butt." That's definitely how I felt after Fran today!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Wow, that's a huge difference.. especially for eleven weeks. You must've been very disciplined. Good job.