CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
Brett Dartt

Profile:
Re: Kimbo on TUF 10

kimbo will bring fans, he will get beat up and fans will stay for the awesomeness still to come
Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
kimbo will bring fans, he will get beat up and fans will stay for the awesomeness still to come
I am hoping that's what will happen. I will be disappointed if they focus on the antics at the house even more than usual. The best episodes now are the ones where they have two fights per episode - not much time left for the 15 minutes of fame seekers getting drunk and destroying things. Too much of that and it will do more harm than good.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 06-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaines DuVall View Post
I dont know. But my guess is no fighting to get in since the true heavyweight pool is so small.
makes sense. Hopefully the guys are serious...

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
Bobby Lashley is also apparently rumoured to be on this season.....
I doubt it, he's scheduled to fight Bob Sapp soon and I think he's still under contract with strikeforce. But I wouldn't put it past dana white to try to sign him in the near future. He's 4-0 professionally and if they brought him they could eventually match him up with Lesner and bring in even more casual fans.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 06-04-2009, 03:51 AM   #15
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
He is not good for the sport because he is what the casual fan thinks of when they think of MMA. However, from a marketing stand point this was a genius move by Dana because it will increase ratings.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #16
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I think Kimbo is talented, but he needs more experience. I wonder how far he'll go.....
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore View Post
I doubt it, he's scheduled to fight Bob Sapp soon and I think he's still under contract with strikeforce. But I wouldn't put it past dana white to try to sign him in the near future. He's 4-0 professionally and if they brought him they could eventually match him up with Lesner and bring in even more casual fans.
Yeah, that was just the sherdog forum going off about it. Bobby Lashley looks legit (so far).

I think the interesting thing about Kimbo is that regardless of how much people hate him or love him, this topic is sparking a lot of commentary. In that sense, Kimbo is good for MMA. On the other hand, the guy has only fought tomato cans and the one somewhat legit fighter he did face knocked him out in 14 seconds. His training looks nowhere near Sherk level but it will be interesting to see the interaction between him and Rampage, or him and Rashad.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #18
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, that was just the sherdog forum going off about it. Bobby Lashley looks legit (so far).
Not sure about that he couldn't finish guida and was in a somewhat suspicious fight in his last outing that smelled of a work.

Quote:
I think the interesting thing about Kimbo is that regardless of how much people hate him or love him, this topic is sparking a lot of commentary. In that sense, Kimbo is good for MMA. On the other hand, the guy has only fought tomato cans and the one somewhat legit fighter he did face knocked him out in 14 seconds. His training looks nowhere near Sherk level but it will be interesting to see the interaction between him and Rampage, or him and Rashad.
Kimbo has not faced anyone yet off deeming him anything more than a name. Also, he is not good for MMA, he is good for ratings there is a distinct difference that should not be overlooked. Machida, GSP and Florian to name a few are good represenatvies of the sport, well spoken, educated and good role models. Kimbo, Canseco, Lashely and any other person trying to milk MMA for money, are good for ratings.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

As far as being good for MMA, it's just as good as any other little to no experience fighter getting a shot to be on TUF.

At the same token, it's not bad for MMA. It just is what it is.

I give Kimbo props for trying to legitamize his MMA career. He could have taken money from Strikeforce or an organization in Japan and been a sideshow fighting jobbers like the Brooklyn Brawler or Bob Holly, but he wants to be a mixed martial artist and wants to be in the UFC.

With that said, there's no way in hell he wins the show, but the guy got a taste of the sport from a corrupt and poorly run company in Pro Elite, and now he's working on actually having MMA skills versus hyped up fame.

As for the other guys on the show, I forget his name, but Shane Carwin's training partner is on the show and apparently he's a carbon copy.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Kimbo has not faced anyone yet off deeming him anything more than a name. Also, he is not good for MMA, he is good for ratings there is a distinct difference that should not be overlooked. Machida, GSP and Florian to name a few are good represenatvies of the sport, well spoken, educated and good role models. Kimbo, Canseco, Lashely and any other person trying to milk MMA for money, are good for ratings.
I think you draw a very good distinction: good for ratings does not equal good for MMA. Although I am not sure if I would count Lashely in that mix. He seems to working his way in - I think he could walked into the UFC on his name alone, ala Lesner. He seems to want to pay his dues. That's the sense I got from watching his interviews and training footage.