CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #31
Jeff Wilson

Profile:
Re: Mental Fitness - Better beliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knutzen View Post
Chris, I do the same sort of number-game thing. I usually know exactly how far I've got to go in a workout or set. Since CrossFit uses odd numbers a lot, it makes it easier to plow through, since there's really no "halfway". You're either just starting (in which case you're fresh on that exercise, and can keep going), or you're more than halfway there (in which case, you'd better just finish instead of complaining!).

Being in the military, I derive a lot from the martial tradition to get through some tough WODs. When I think of quitting, I think of all the warriors of the past who gave it all up. I think to myself, my brothers didn't quit when it really mattered, so who are you to quit now when it's just for fun? Also, it's motivating to know that you're pushing yourself and suffering and dying through a workout so you can be ready. So that some other person doesn't have to do the same thing if they don't want to. Because you know you've got that fire in your belly, and you can push through, so you'd damn well better.
I think of a dear friend of mine when I'm on the verge of quitting due to fatigue. He gave his life in 2004 so that his marines could live. He never gave up, he fought all the way to the end.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #32
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wilson View Post
I think of a dear friend of mine when I'm on the verge of quitting due to fatigue. He gave his life in 2004 so that his marines could live. He never gave up, he fought all the way to the end.
What was his name? I was in Iraq during this time and we had a CPL come in the hospital we were doing security for, that gave his life for his troops.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #33
Bryan Back

Profile:

Keep it simple for my pea brain...

When everything in my soul is screaming for me to stop I tell myself give me ONE MORE REP. Next time I do that exercise I demand two more reps. Safe increases while demanding improvement.

Others have talked about the negative beliefs also. "I could never be that strong" is a belief that will keep you weak.

Just one more rep... the rest will work itself out.

Just one more second off the time... the rest will work itself out.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #34
Joey Powell

Profile:

I believe I will... have a beer... later
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #35
Jeff Bocock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
'Simplify, simplify.'
(Thoreau? Can't remember for sure...)
Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity

Thoreau, in Walden. Chapter 2 I believe
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #36
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bocock View Post
Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity

Thoreau, in Walden. Chapter 2 I believe
That'd be the one. Much appreciated.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #37
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Want to thank all of you who posted. This is good stuff. Please continue. I got through today's WOD (scaled of course) faster than I thought...pushed myself a little harder than I would have otherwise...

-Ryan
Old 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #38
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I believe no one walking this earth ever truly reaches their true potential therefore there is always something to improve upon.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #39
Vincent Tam

Profile:

I tell myself I'd be weak if I decided to quit. That every time I successfully push myself harder, past the pain and my desire to stop, I become stronger physically and mentally.

I remind myself that I'm a wrestler, and that success comes from hard work, dedication, and sacrifice. "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

I remind myself of people who have undergone much more hardship and how they've managed to endure (Murph, my dad).
Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #40
Nik Nichols

Profile:

For me, I see that it is a particular mantality to X-fitters, that never say die, never quite thing. Not everybody has it or understands it.
I do this for fitness first, to be healthy. Buuuut, the compition is there, against myself and others here. And the feeling of accomplishment, I am 42 years old and just front squat 220lbs and i weigh 165, not bad for a father of two!! Also the feeling of being on top of the world after a workout. I am addicted.

I know I won't quite, if I start it I won't stop. I get the job done, I do what is required. No questions asked, just get it done. I guess that is the military in me.
Time and PR's are second to that. They are just as important, but second to getting the job done.
I pray befor each workout, I dedicat my suffering to others who are in need (sick friends, death, heros, ect...)

But when I'm in the middle of a workout and I want to stop, I tell myself ''One more, just do one more, you have one more in you!'' In my mind sometime I feel like I lie to myself to get another. But it always works. I ''one mored'' my way through all those L pullups on saterday.