CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Mental Fitness - Better beliefs

When I'm gasping for air, exhausted, looking at the barbell knowing I need to pick it back up, but wanting so much to give in my voice talks to me . . . it tells me this:

ARE YOU QUITTING?? Once this is done the pain will be gone, but if you quit the memory that you gave up won't be. Are you going to trade temporary comfort for a lasting memory that you crumpled? That you let that ****in' barbell win? No, NO, NO!! PICK UP THAT ******* BARBELL!!!

Hopefully this is a sentiment that will help someone else make it through when things get rough.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I believe I can always be stonger.

I believe I can always be faster.

I believe I can always work harder.

I believe I can always increase my skill.

I believe I can always learn more.

I believe that the more effort I put into the capacities above, the more happy, healthy years I will get out of this one life I am given.

I want to be the 60 year old guy who is flying circles around 20-year-olds on a skydive, flying by them on the ski slope, passing them on the track, out-lifting them in the gym, and out-partying them at night. I have seen different 60-year-olds do all of the above to me, and aspire to become each and every one of them. When my time comes, I want my friends to be astonished that such an energetic, healthy old man can be taken so suddenly and without warning.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Could you link to this, please. I couldn't find it.
I miss quoted, sorry...

Josh Everett and his "other gear"
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42046 (WF/S)

-Ryan
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
Lela Kaunitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
When I'm gasping for air, exhausted, looking at the barbell knowing I need to pick it back up, but wanting so much to give in my voice talks to me . . . it tells me this:

ARE YOU QUITTING?? Once this is done the pain will be gone, but if you quit the memory that you gave up won't be. Are you going to trade temporary comfort for a lasting memory that you crumpled? That you let that ****in' barbell win? No, NO, NO!! PICK UP THAT ******* BARBELL!!!

Hopefully this is a sentiment that will help someone else make it through when things get rough.
I know that voice. I heard it today when I was halfway up a yellow climb at the rock climbing gym:

"If you can do three rounds of Helen, YOU CAN DO THIS. Quit sandbagging and finish the climb!"

I'm actually starting to like that voice.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lynch View Post
I miss quoted, sorry...

Josh Everett and his "other gear"
http://www.board.CrossFit.com/showthread.php?t=42046 (WF/S)

-Ryan
Cool. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #16
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! --Aragorn, son of Arathorn

For me, it's a lot simpler. I'll quit tomorrow. But not today.

Katherine
Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #17
Harley Jennings

Profile:

This is a biker's way of looking at crossfit, but I believe "Live hard, Ride easy".

What that means to me is live your life in a manner that goes against the grain of society, push your body to the limit during the workouts, eat for performance not for pleasure, and when it comes time to embrace the finer things of life (like riding your Harley in jeans and a wife-beater) then do it easy because the rest of your life is so damn hard!
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 AM   #18
Nick Repertorio

Profile:

Your mind tires before your body does, when you stop and take that rest in the middle of workout, a lot of the time you could have kept going, its just easier if you take the rest. Easy workouts are not going to get you PR's.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:25 AM   #19
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

I believe the value of objects is not in the object itself, but the experiences that object has the potential to create

I believe everyone needs some way to push themselves to their limit. We never truly know ourselves until we are on the brink of defeat.

I believe everyone should be punched in the face occasionally. This will prevent you from being a **** talker.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #20
Lauren Hall

Profile:

In your first post you said:
"On top of the values we hold dear that shape our lives, are the beliefs about ourselves and what goes on around us. Now "beliefs" have nothing to do with reality or fact, they are just the sub-conscience (and often conscience) rules we have that we govern our lives by. They serve us in some way."

Not to be nit-picky here, but beliefs have to have something to do with reality or fact, otherwise we shouldn't believe them. Even your statement that they serve us in some way indicates that there is a very real connection between beliefs and reality.

One common theme I see in the people listing their beliefs in this thread is how much these beliefs reflect a larger reality that we often have a hard time accessing. Convincing myself that I can catch that clean even though I've failed three times has as much to do with reality as the belief that your car keys should be in your hands before you close the door.

What my CF beliefs do are replace false beliefs (i.e. I can't lift that weight, or I'll hurt myself, or there is no reason to be in this much pain) with true beliefs that reflect reality (i.e. I can lift that, I can finish this workout, the pain will over soon).