CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Frank Dennis

Profile:
VFF Breakdown

So, about a month ago I got my VFF Sprints, and love them. A lot of things have gotten better; lift form, jumprope, working on POSE running. But most of the time I've spent wearing them I haven't been moving that much, or rather, haven't been out running (too cold here yet). So, they're just kind of hanging out between my feet and the ground while I'm doing squats.

Anyway, I tore some skin off my feet on my MMA gym's new (and highly tractional) tatami mats doing many many reps of a drill the other night, so last night I decided to wear my Five Fingers to train in because their website touts them as good for martial arts and I didn't want to bleed on anyone.

I rolled once, just once, and the big toe pocket on the right shoe tore away from the sole.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm hoping it's a manufacturing defect and I can exchange them... I expressed some concern about the stitching on the toe pockets when I bought them, but since the store I got them from is in another city and as I was sitting in a Starbuck's with their rep and one pair of shoes at the time, I didn't have any others to compare them to.

If this doesn't turn out to be a manufacturing defect, be warned; while they are awesome and good for many things, they are not good for martial arts.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Chris Drewry

Profile:
Re: VFF Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
So, about a month ago I got my VFF Sprints, and love them. A lot of things have gotten better; lift form, jumprope, working on POSE running. But most of the time I've spent wearing them I haven't been moving that much, or rather, haven't been out running (too cold here yet). So, they're just kind of hanging out between my feet and the ground while I'm doing squats.

Anyway, I tore some skin off my feet on my MMA gym's new (and highly tractional) tatami mats doing many many reps of a drill the other night, so last night I decided to wear my Five Fingers to train in because their website touts them as good for martial arts and I didn't want to bleed on anyone.

I rolled once, just once, and the big toe pocket on the right shoe tore away from the sole.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm hoping it's a manufacturing defect and I can exchange them... I expressed some concern about the stitching on the toe pockets when I bought them, but since the store I got them from is in another city and as I was sitting in a Starbuck's with their rep and one pair of shoes at the time, I didn't have any others to compare them to.

If this doesn't turn out to be a manufacturing defect, be warned; while they are awesome and good for many things, they are not good for martial arts.
Frank,

They dont seem to handle sideways torque very well. I attribute this to the stickiness of the vibram soles.I have had/still have multiple pairs of various styles VFF. None I have found are safe from high stress environments.I have resewn and reglued mine so many times I call them my Franken shoes.

Bottom line is this.... they are find for traditional martial arts, but for high impact MMA style disciplines (krav maga, BJJ, Muy Thai, etc) they wont hold up.

Still love them, and still wear them!!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up!

So, re-sewn and re-glued, eh? I'm reasonably handy, but is there a resource you know of that could teach me what I know to do that effectively? Or could you give me some pointers? Since the fabric tore away from the rubber of the sole, I'm not sure about the re-attachment... is superglue a good choice, or gorilla glue?

I'm probably gonna buy another pair or two anyway, but it's good to know about their limits so when I do get them fixed or replaced, it doesn't happen again.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Chris Drewry

Profile:

I prefer super glue to reattach the the sole. As for pointers, if you see any part of the sho weakening... seam at the big toe, the sole/fabric connection on the inside bottom of the big toe..... just make minor repairs as you go.

Most likely you had a weakened or torn connection on the inside like I mentioned above, and you just ripped it wide open.

Last edited by Chris Drewry : 02-18-2009 at 04:21 PM.