CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Jeff Metzger

Profile:
Re: Looking for a reputable Krav Maga school

Sorry for the delay in responding. I just got sprung from the hospital after a six day stay from a bout with with Rhabdo. All will be well, no permanent damage done.

FWIW, there is some real crap out there. If you have zero experience, you won't recognize it. Judo and BJJ have less of a reputation for crap instruction. I'm sure there is some good Krav out there, but I've seen some pretty awful videos posted by a local instructor...
Camille, my concern exactly. That's precisely why I'm looking for recommendations for schools or teacher / instructors in my area.

Any school, take a good look at what they teach. Are they covering avoidance and de-escalation techniques? Are they covering the law around self-defense? Are they covering when it might be appropriate to defend yourself?
Wayne, good advice as to what look at in a curriculum. Thanks.

Last edited by Jeff Metzger : 02-05-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Replaced ? with . after done
Old 02-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Clark Petri

Profile:

Jeff, I second looking at their curriculum. There is so much to be said for de-escalation and avoidance in the first place. Nothing in your wallet is worth your life type stuff.

FWIW, I'd also recommend a place that encourages sparring and grappling. I've seen KM places whose techniques are "so deadly they can't be practiced with resistance in training." In turn, they become somewhat kata-ish with aggressors being extremely compliant. There's a lot to be gained from practicing techniques against another fully resisting person, even if in a sportish environment. For those reasons I enjoy judo/BJJ/MMA both for sport and defense purposes. Either way, anything is better than nothing and please report your experiences! Good luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
Matt Connolly

Profile:

is there such as thing as a 'reputable' KM school? Alot of systems offer instructor level status after a weekend and hefty fee has been paid. Personally I'd look for a reputable Muay Thai/MMA/BJJ school and perhaps take one of Tony Blauers BYOB courses or look for a PDR instructor near you http://www.pdrteam.com WFS
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Alex Nunez

Profile:

Hi guys, I'm a first time poster and new to CF. I'm from South Texas and we don't have an official Krav Maga teacher, but we have something else called Commando Krav Maga. Now before you google it and say it's "fake", I can assure you that what I've learned so far is "Krav Maga". We do the same drills, same knife defense, reality based training. So if you can't find an official Krav Maga place, look up CKM. It's saved me more than once, and the drills will hurt. Trust me.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Ron Thurston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cox View Post
David Kahn is in NJ. Probably one of the best KM instructors out there.

http://israelikrav.com/
Luckily I work 5 minutes from his training center and live about 20 minutes away. I'm going over tonight to get all the information for membership. Looking forward to starting Krav back up again and complimenting it with CrossFit.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Nunez View Post
We do the same drills, same knife defense, reality based training. So if you can't find an official Krav Maga place, look up CKM. It's saved me more than once, and the drills will hurt. Trust me.
Well the knife defense drills I've seen from KM aren't that good. But I tend to think that of most martial arts when it comes to various "defense against x".

Not sure what the purpose of drills hurting has to do with anything. Yes pain tolerance drill and body impact conditioning drills are required at times, but most of your training can be pain free.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
Joseph Kassabian

Profile:

I took Krav Maga for several years when I lived in Tel Aviv. Best way to tell the program your going too isn't a sham:

-They are certified by the Israeli Defense Force, or from one of the IDF schools located in Tel Aviv, Hebron.

-Chances are if the instructor does not speak Hebrew he was not taught by someone worth a damn, or isn't really schooled at all. Remember this is a martial art invented for Israelis and the IDF and almost all instructors LEARN the art while serving in the IDF. So while its not 100% fool proof it should help.

I'm not saying there isn't plenty of great Americans out there who know KM. But just like i would rather learn Sambo from a Russian or BJJ from a Gracie.

Last edited by Joseph Kassabian : 03-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
Mark Dong

Profile:

There are plenty of reputable Krav Maga associations out there.

Sorry, I do have to say that CKM isnt krav maga and dont waste your time.

Krav Maga Global (KMG), International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF), International Krav Maga Association (IKMA), Krav Maga Federation (KMF) are all respectable associations for Krav Maga.

I train and am an instructor with Krav Maga Global and I do have to say that we are the real deal.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Ron-How far are you from Princeton?
If you're within an hour and a half drive, I'd drop everything and go train here: http://princetonbjj.com/ (WFS)
If you train with Emily Kwok, you won't need a single other thing.
Just something to think about.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
If you train with Emily Kwok, you won't need a single other thing.
That is quite a statement. I've trained with many martial artists/self-defense practitioners over the years and have yet to find one that covers everything to the point of that I won't "need a single other thing."