CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Ron White

Profile:
Utilizing crossfit without a crossfit gym?

I work out at a local YMCA and some of the Crossfit workouts use equipment that the gym doesn't have. Any suggestions for replacement workouts for like kettlebell stuff and sledge swings??
Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Utilizing crossfit without a crossfit gym?

I also workout at a Y. All the kettlebell stuff you can use a dumbbell for. Sledge swings try a DB cross chop. I run into problems with medicine ball stuff, like when I'm supposed to throw them.

Some CFers have had good luck petitioning the director of my gym and hopefully will see some new CF useful equipment arriving after the first of the year.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Christian Groenveld

Profile:

I work out a Y too and just get used to being the guy in the corner doing all the strange exercises! Dumbells work fine as a replacement for KB's. Just find some room and an empty bar to take with you to do oly lifts. I also stack a stepper for box jumps and it holds up fine. Surprising, they were fine w/ me doing wall ball tosses, they just didn't like me doing it near the fire alarm. if the ceilings are high enough and they won't let you toss it against the wall, just throw it straight up in the air...better than not doing it at all. Good luck. Once you get into it, you'll have it all figured out what equipment to use and how to manage the logistics of the gym.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Aaron Austin

Profile:

Another Y member here too. I do the same as Marcus and Christian - dumbells in place of kettlebells. I Crossfit with my sister so we end up taking a corner or section of the weight room with our bars or boxes (steppers and shims if needed - my Y has one 18" box) mats set up for the WOD. We don't run into many problems. Get a few spectators from time to time though
Old 12-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Stephan Marcella

Profile:

Dumbells can be used effectively for just about any movement. Also, go to the main page and view section 3 under the FAQ for suggestions for wall balls, rowing, etc.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
Ron White

Profile:

Awesome guys I appreciate it alot.