CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Jeff Yan

Profile:
Miguel Flores, RIP

I didn't know the guy and I've never communicated with him, even through these message boards. My sincerest apologies to concerned parties if it's inappropriate for a total stranger to be starting a thread about him.

Still, I'll remember him as the guy who posted completely unbelievable scores (like 30+ Cindy rounds?) and was roundly doubted for them. And I'll remember seeing his name on the rankings list of the '08 Games and thinking, so this guy is pretty legit after all.

Once again, RIP.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Miguel Flores, RIP

Jeff this is the community he belonged to, and if you call yourself a Crossfitter, you are NOT a stranger to Miguel...He lived and breathed CF and the community, so Thank You for starting the tribute thread.

RIP Little bro, Everything in His time, but it's still hard.

Love,
Aush
Old 12-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Damn.

I've communicated with him privately here and he seemed like a good guy. Can you share any details about what happened, Aushion?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I think Rachel Medina of CF South San Clemente said it best.

"Today we got horrible news that a very dear and close friend of our was in a fatal car accident last night. Miguel was trapped in the car for a very long time while they tried to pry him out with the jaws of life. Miguel could not get enough oxygen to his brain. Miguel Flores, 22 of Barstow California passed away today after being on life support for several hours. He served in the Navy for 4 years.

Miguel was in our lives when we moved to San Diego, and became a permanent family member ever since. My brother, Adam and Miguel were inseparable. Miggs lived on our home for many months, and became a permanent member of our family.

Miguel not only was an amazing athlete, but a solid man, with a heart of gold. His passion in life was CrossFit. He was so happy when he attained his level I Cert, and was diligently working toward his Level II. He always wanted to own his own CrossFit Gym and work in the CrossFit community because it made him very happy to help others. He prided himself on his accomplishments, but more so what he could give back to others. I never met a more bubbly, adorable, loving guy, who always welcomed you with a hug and huge smile no matter how his day was going.

We will honor him tomorrow in a very difficult workout. Miguel was not the average athlete. He was a stellar performer who pushed himself far past the limits of most. Please join us in the WOD, as it is not for the faint hearted.

Life is fragile and precious, and it can be gone in a split second. Honor those who love you in this life and do good to others, for you never know who you will permanently touch in this world. Miguel permanently made an imprint on my life as he did with so many others. Miguel was an organ donor, and all I can say is that who ever it is that receives Miguel's Heart, is receiving solid Gold.

God bless you Miggie. I love and miss you. Rest in peace. I will finish with your favorite quote little brother:

A mans heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9"

-Rachel Medina CrossFit South San Clemente
Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

BTW the workout in his honor:

"Miguel CFSD, A.K.A. McFlurry"
400 meter Run
21 185lb Cleans (Miguel's Body Weight)
21 Pull Ups
400 Meter Run
15 Dumbell Thrusters 50lb
15 Pull Ups
400 Meter Run
9 185lb Cleans
9 Pull Ups
400 meter run

These are all movements that Migs excelled at, he was one of the strongest young men I've ever met. And could run like the dickens.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

RIP good sir.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
Dustin Berry

Profile:

Very tragic, prayers sent.

RIP Miguel
Old 12-09-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Lela Kaunitz

Profile:

Godspeed, Mr Flores.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Jeff, I agree with you, in that I never met Miguel, but would usually see him on top of the logs it all standings. He had some amazing times for some of the girl wod's. It is a shame to hear that he passed away in such a tragic accident. It is amazing to think that we all do our best to live healthy, we never know when our time will come. Unfortunately, tragedies like this always help to keep things in perspective.

RIP Miguel
Old 12-09-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
Stephen Smith

Profile:

I'm another who never knew Miguel, but I'm sorry to hear about this tragedy. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. It's sad to see a life with so much potential ended prematurely, but at least he truly lived the time he had and touched the lives of many in an overwhelmingly positive way.